Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visa transfer to new passports?

Default Visa transfer to new passports?

We're just in the process of renewing our 3 kids soon to expire UK passports, at hideous expense (~ $700). As far as I can tell from the NZ immigration website, it would cost us $90 per child to get their Resident Permits and Indefinite Returning Resident Visas transferred to their new passports, which is making this a very expensive prospect.

So a couple of questions spring to mind, which I am too tired this late at night to start looking up answers, so I'm hoping someone out there might already have some:

1. The visas stuck in the passports have a note stuck on them saying we should get them transferred to new passports when the current ones expire. But do we actually have to, or is this just a recommendation? I've previously been told that if we leave NZ for a holiday, as long as we have both the old and new passports to hand then that would be OK. Is this true or just a rumour?

2. Anyone been in this situation and not bothered to get the visas transferred? We're only 12 months away from being able to apply for NZ citizenship, so I'd rather not fork out an extra $270 right now if we don't really need to. I know a few friends here have been happy to let their UK passports expire and not bothered to renew them at all since they've had no overseas travel plans, but we don't want any of our family to be passport-less in case we had some sort of UK family emergency and had to fly back at short notice.

3. Last question....the IRRV and Residents Permits have recently been replaced with a new type of all-in-one PR visa as far as I understand it. If we paid the $90 to get the kids visas transferred, would they just get the same type of visas in the new passports that we already have, or would they get the new kind? And if they got the new kind of PR visa, and we the parents had the old kind of visa which expires when you leave the country...is this likely to cause any confusion if we were to leave NZ for whatever reason (emergency/holiday etc) and then return home again?

This probably sounds a bit paranoid, and I get a bit overkill when it comes to planning for all eventualities.....but so far it's paid off!

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    We're just in the process of renewing our 3 kids soon to expire UK passports, at hideous expense (~ $700). As far as I can tell from the NZ immigration website, it would cost us $90 per child to get their Resident Permits and Indefinite Returning Resident Visas transferred to their new passports, which is making this a very expensive prospect.

So a couple of questions spring to mind, which I am too tired this late at night to start looking up answers, so I'm hoping someone out there might already have some:

1. The visas stuck in the passports have a note stuck on them saying we should get them transferred to new passports when the current ones expire. But do we actually have to, or is this just a recommendation? I've previously been told that if we leave NZ for a holiday, as long as we have both the old and new passports to hand then that would be OK. Is this true or just a rumour?

You have to transfer your valid visa to new passport, you cant carry your valid visa on old/expired passport

when you get your new passport, the old one is no use, but sometimes immigration point may ask for previous passport details to verify( but i guess it may be case to case )

2. Anyone been in this situation and not bothered to get the visas transferred? We're only 12 months away from being able to apply for NZ citizenship, so I'd rather not fork out an extra $270 right now if we don't really need to. I know a few friends here have been happy to let their UK passports expire and not bothered to renew them at all since they've had no overseas travel plans, but we don't want any of our family to be passport-less in case we had some sort of UK family emergency and had to fly back at short notice.

if your passport expired i guess your visa will also expire if you dont transfer them to new one

the situation is different if you are in UK, since you are in NZ and carry NZ visa, you have to keep your passport valid to keep your NZ visa valid

3. Last question....the IRRV and Residents Permits have recently been replaced with a new type of all-in-one PR visa as far as I understand it. If we paid the $90 to get the kids visas transferred, would they just get the same type of visas in the new passports that we already have, or would they get the new kind? And if they got the new kind of PR visa, and we the parents had the old kind of visa which expires when you leave the country...is this likely to cause any confusion if we were to leave NZ for whatever reason (emergency/holiday etc) and then return home again?

i guess when you travel you will get the new visa too...

This probably sounds a bit paranoid, and I get a bit overkill when it comes to planning for all eventualities.....but so far it's paid off!

i understand the cost involved in this whole process but you have to invest

hope this helps and someone will correct me if I am wrong

When we did IRRV transfer to new passports couple of years ago, the one fee ($80 at time?) covered doing both our passports.

So unless things have changed, it might only cost $90 to do all 3.

Nick..

Quote Originally Posted by NikT View Post
    When we did IRRV transfer to new passports couple of years ago, the one fee ($80 at time?) covered doing both our passports.

So unless things have changed, it might only cost $90 to do all 3.

Nick..
    They did used to do this but the official line now is that they must charge for each transfer, so certainly wouldn't rely on this.

Having said that they were always meant to charge and I'm sure someone on the forum posted recently that they only had the one charge so it may still be possible?

Ian

its one charge for IRRV swap $160 and I was told on Wednesday $90 for each passport holder good money making exercise!
    Our sons passport expires next year and if we were not travelling this year I would of held out but as OP mentioned I did not want tob ewithout a passport in case of family emergancies

So where do I send my sons renewed uk passport to get the PR visa transferred? The link above won't open.

I can't open anything there - maybe their site is down for service for the time being.

Here is what the link should have said...
    How do I transfer my visa to a new passport?
    If you have renewed your passport, you will need to transfer your valid visa into your new passport as soon as possible.

Please note that this also includes Working Holiday Visas which have been issued electronically (without a label), as the passport details on this visa MUST match the passport you are entering New Zealand with.

The new passport should be submitted for a label to be issued, which will replace the original e-visa letter.

To request a transfer of your visa, you will need to send the following documents to your nearest office:

Your old passport
    if your old passport was lost/stolen, a copy of a police report is required, showing that the loss was reported
    if your Embassy/High Commission kept your old passport, you need to request a letter from the Embassy/High Commission, which confirms this.
    Your new passport
    A completed Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa (1023)
    A processing fee (refer below for details)
    To find out the current transfer fee and which is your nearest processing office, please use our Office and Fees Finder.

Please Note: If more than one family member is requesting a visa transfer at the same time (eg. applicant and/or partner, and/or child/ren), a separate completed application form and a separate fee is required for each person requesting a transfer.

This answer was last updated on 23 January, 2013.
    Looks like you can take your passport to Hamilton and pay the current fee of $105.

Ian

Thank you so much, just glad I allowed plenty of time to do all this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast