Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Glazing

Default Double Glazing

With the first cold southerly of the year blowing in, I am again considering double glazing.

This is the first winter in our new Christchurch house. It's 11 years old and has basic insulation in the walls and the loft, is not drafty, single glazed, thick thermal-lined curtains, a heatpump and faces north. In general it is not cold and the heating cost is around $100/month in winter.

This morning, I was expecting condensation on the windows as it dropped to 4 degrees overnight. When I checked them this morning, I was surprised at the level - the whole window was dripping. I took the squeegee to it to clear the worst of it and managed to make large pools of water on the skirting boards.

I am thinking about double glazing to reduce the levels of condensation. So I have 3 questions:
    • Should I just replace the panes with double glazed units or should I be looking for full replacement windows?
    • What are the approximate costs for each option for a 3/4 bed house?
    • Should I be considering anything else e.g. HRV?

Thanks,
    B&K

UPVC would be our first choice but way too expensive here so we opted for retro fitting double glazed units into the aluminium frames.

We used Christchurch glass and highly recommend them to do them in our first house ( 4 beds) in Parklands and it cost around $10 to 12K , including the ranch sliders .

Was well worth the investment

I'd like uPVC but I think the price would be prohibitive and it would provide too little benefit for that extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by b&k View Post
    This morning, I was expecting condensation on the windows as it dropped to 4 degrees overnight. When I checked them this morning, I was surprised at the level - the whole window was dripping. I took the squeegee to it to clear the worst of it and managed to make large pools of water on the skirting boards.
    We had heavily condensated single glazed windows this am too - but no budget for double glazing this year

I recommend drying the windows with an old towel rather than a squeegee in the interim though, it's a lot less messy

I work for the Energy Saving Centre whose headoffice is in Christchurch. We do retro fit double glazing (optical grade acrylic that fits to windows with magnets!). Look on our website www.energysavingcentre.co.nz In the recent earthquake the houses that were fit with our product, it didnt break so the glass that was on the outside broke outwards and not into the house. Quite good really!

(I work in in the Tauranga office - we serve Tauranga, Hamilton, Rotorua and surrounding areas - by the way!)
    Claire

Double Glazing my OH tells me is one of the most cost efficient home improvements you can do...shame we are in a rented house!

Quite often you will find that it is warm enough in the winter to air the house with open windows and doors, which really helps cut down on the condensation. If you are cooking and have an extractor fan use it as it takes a lot of the steam out, and ensure that you run the fan when you shower. These help to reduce the condensation levels.

PS I grew up in a house in Scotland with minimal heating and single glazing...you get used to it amd it is generally warm in the day in Chc, if north facing, due to solar gain even on the coldest days.

Hi B&K

If your budget allows it, definitely consider UPVC. We have had great experiences with NK windows in Christchurch who offer European style UPC windows (tilt and turn).We have done our complete 4 bedroom house for just under 40 K (but with many many windows).

If you do want go with aluminium frames then decide on thermally broken aluminium frames (otherwise you will still experience condensation on the frames). Timber panes are great too but are becoming really expensive.

Since installing our UPVC windows we have not had any condensation, so if you do a good job with double glazing you will save yourself the cost of a HRV.
    Last edited by FraJes; 7th April 2011 at 10:33 PM.

...it is generally warm in the day in Chc, if north facing, due to solar gain even on the coldest days.
    What about a house that isn't north facing??? When new residential sub divided lots go for sale, it's usually the north facing lots that get sold 1st.

I am not too concerned about the insulation increase by fitting double glazing although it all helps. I want to eliminate damp and mould and the health issues that these cause.

Assuming a cost of $10k, is this a good price versus running the heatpump, a de-humidifier or HRV?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast