Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stores for furniture

Default Stores for furniture

Sorry lot of questions recently.

I am trying to check out prices of things online (furniture) in NZ so we can weigh up cost of buying there vs cost of shipping from the US. I am currently waiting on a couple of quotes from shipping companies.

What are stores that you would buy reasonable (not expensive) furniture at? I am looking at things like couches, love seats, beds, tables etc.

And what is a good electronics store? We know not to bother bringing any electronics except the laptop which is compatible.

Thanks again in advance.

Don't bother. The online 'catalogues' are useless and the prices bear no resemblance to what you'll pay. Sticker prices for all that stuff has no relevance to the price you pay. It's a total barter system over here. As a very very rough guide then sticker prices is 25% over what you pay, but that will vary widely from 10% to 50%. Having said all that, then furniture isn't cheap over here, so the general advice is to bring it all. Anything you don't want / need you'll be able to sell for quite a high price on TradeMe.

Furniture - Target, Harvey Norman, Big Save Furrniture, Smiths City.
    Electrical - Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming (Bond&Bond is same company), Smiths City

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    It's a total barter system over here.
    Barter is a method of exchange by which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange, such as money
    so let us into the secret, what goods or services are you providing

Ian

I stand there and talk to them until they give me the price I want. I suppose it's more blackmail than barter.......

Ok, so it's a haggling system.

choice is limited and often poor quality, also look at Freedom furniture, bring everything you can if it does not fit sell it on trade me

Though you often read here that it is cheaper to ship everything rather than buy NZ, I did some window shopping while in NZ last month. Like you, I was weighing the option of buying everything new in NZ.

I only checked Briscoes and Farmers and decided that if I was in no rush to fill the house with furniture, I could probably replace what I have for a comparable price to the U.S. except perhaps for mattresses. Even on sale they were pretty expensive. I also checked prices on everything from towels to teacups and finally decided to ship. My shipping quote is around US $9500, and I can't replace the contents of a 3 bedroom/2 bath house for that. A factor that weighed heavily in this decision is that all the furniture I saw looked very similar to what I see in NZ real estate photos of home interiors - not a huge variety. I've got some pretty funky pieces - some Mexican and some antiques that will be more unique in NZ.

We moved to NZ in 2001 & bought most of my furnishings second hand 9with the exception of fridge, washing machine & TV) the fridge was rubbish Fisher Paykel replaved with good condition not new Bosch off Trademe for $400, TV packed up after 4 years & friend gave us unwanted one, washing machine (Maytag) was fantastic Paid $1,100 new sold on Trademe 8 years later for $625.

We are returning in September & apart from importing 2 brand new sofas from Ikea in Australia (because they are comfortable & there is no Ikea store in NZ) we will be buying the rest off Trademe.
    I did take advtantage of the shop sales before I left & bought 800 thread count Egyptian sheet sets less 50%. Briscoes are quite good for everyday crockery have nice crystal wine glasses & often have great discounts.
    Dell I am still using towels I bought from Cosco Reno NV in 1995, they are amazing I think they were $5 each & I was very dubious of their quality!

Thanks guys for all the great replies, as ever!!!

As said in other threads, I would bring everything. It is possible to find cheap stuff, but it is really cheap and in my experience won't last.

I miss the middle of the range stuff at affordable prices here. You can get expensive (and presumably quality) things, and the cheap trash, but not a whole lot in between. At least I'm still looking for that...

We brought everything, and I would bring everything again (and more) with hindsight, too.

Daniela

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast