Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooding

Unhappy Flooding

There seem to have been extreme floods in NZ since we've lived here and communities always seem ill prepared.

Is it because it's a realtively new thing? Or is it because when it's over people just think it won't happen again?

The amount of rainfall is being described as a one in a 100 year event.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    There seem to have been extreme floods in NZ since we've lived here and communities always seem ill prepared.

Is it because it's a realtively new thing? Or is it because when it's over people just think it won't happen again?
    I would say it is not necessarily new but it happens more often.

Similar to Europe where they had three a 'one in 100 year events' within one single decade. Figure how that works...

Quote Originally Posted by Twunky View Post
    The amount of rainfall is being described as a one in a 100 year event.
    Maybe I'm imagining it but I'm sure areas are at risk of serious flooding on a regular basis. Without looking too hard, here's an article from March 2011:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10718356

March 16: A slip came down on the Johnsonville, Wellington, commuter train lines, causing delays. On March 18, heavy rain with thunder flooded houses in South Auckland.

March 21-22: Heavy rain in the Coromandel caused flooding and slips, closing many roads. In rural areas, the persistent rain put a stop to harvesting, with maize, sweetcorn, tomatoes and grapes affected. The month's highest one-day rainfall (159mm) was recorded at Whitianga.

March 27: A sudden downpour from Wellington to Kapiti flooded properties, ripped up roads and caused cars to float down streets.
    One for Feb 2011:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10704862

The AA's road watch website said Waiarikiki Rd and Winding Creek Rd in Waikaia, Riversdale-Waikaia Rd and Pyramid-Waiparu Rd in Riversdale in southland, and Lake Ohau Rd in North Otago were all closed due to flooding.

Several other roads in the Southland region had surface flooding and caution is advised. State Highway 6 between Harihari and Haast has reopened following flooding yesterday.
    And there are plenty more like that...

And I'm sure it's been like this for the last 5 years. I remember when we first arrived telling people back home that the flooding was so bad they had to close roads, people had to cancel trips and lots of houses were damaged - now I just think that's normal.

I'm not sure about flooding but think generally after recent events down in Canterbury we are much more prepared for any natural little buggers Got food stores sorted, trailer loaded with camping gear and ready to be attached to car, torches and batteries everywhere, same with candles, clothes bags in both cars and water for Africa....

Completely buggered if we are not at home though.....

Karenx

Yes I'm sure loads more people are Earthquake ready now!

I can't help the feeling though that areas need to take on board that flooding is becoming more 'normal', (if it is in fact the case that it's a new thing), then they could put some thought into flood prevention, instead of going 'oh no the road is flooded again'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Yes I'm sure loads more people are Earthquake ready now!

I can't help the feeling though that areas need to take on board that flooding is becoming more 'normal', (if it is in fact the case that it's a new thing), then they could put some thought into flood prevention, instead of going 'oh no the road is flooded again'.
    People now also tend to build where they didn't before - in already flooding prone areas.
    And again this and other activities of our society e.g. foresting and farming create occasionally/often situations which now lead to more flooding than before.

Palmerston North learned from the flood they had here a few years ago. New flood banks along the river as well as changed building codes for the areas that were flooded (the houses have to be built up higher- either on dirt or stilts.

Severe floods are one of the events that are becoming more common across the world due to climate change. There are parts of the UK that are expected to be scarified. My village has had some residential areas flood for the first time in living memory a couple of years ago with cars washed away!

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Palmerston North learned from the flood they had here a few years ago. New flood banks along the river as well as changed building codes for the areas that were flooded (the houses have to be built up higher- either on dirt or stilts.
    That is what I meant: Why build there at all?

Also flood banks are only that good. In the past often it had been neglected to allow certain areas to be flooded by purpose. Rethinking this has not been finished unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast