Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it enough?

Default Is it enough?

I have worked out will be earning around £47000 a year before tax possibly higher but I am erring on the side of caution.

This will have to support 2 over 18's and 3 under 18's.

Will this be enough? I may have to take a 2nd job. My 18yr old daughter will probably need to do something too. I have done the cost of living calculator and using very rough guessesit says I will need $47850 so not a massive difference. But will we be struggling constantly, I'm used to that here!

As an emigrant on a SM visa can I claim the working tax credit?

Thank you x
    Last edited by helencall; 29th April 2011 at 10:30 AM.

I assume you mean NZ$47k not UKP47k.

And yes it will be a struggle, but a struggle that many other people over here do. Second incomes are fairly common.

As you say, it's probably not too dissimilar to managing in the UK on the comparative income.

Sorry, can't help with the tax question, sure others will. My understanduing is that as an immigrant you would be able to get the tax credits, but may not be able to claim benefits.

Might be a bit tight, you need to work out costs of rent/mortgage etc. Look on Trademe for rentals in the area you may move to. Also look at the Foodtown/Countdown websites for the costs of food.

Quote Originally Posted by helencall View Post
    I have worked out will be earning around £47000 a year before tax possibly higher but I am erring on the side of caution. This will have to support 2 over 18's and 3 under 18's.
    Yes, that will be a struggle. But without knowing a few more variables (rent? mortgage? city/rural?), it is difficult to know if possible.

We are a family of six, pay very little rent, don't live extravagantly, and I would not be able to live on this.

Good luck,

Daniela

Hi,

I had a thread on incomes etc that got some great replies, might be worth a look:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33092

And Daniella - where do you pay very little rent in Auckland? If it's not a cheeky question?

Quote Originally Posted by gorstsmit View Post
    And Daniella - where do you pay very little rent in Auckland? If it's not a cheeky question?
    Mates' rates

Daniela

Ah - those are the best kind!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    I assume you mean NZ$47k not UKP47k.

And yes it will be a struggle, but a struggle that many other people over here do. Second incomes are fairly common.
    Yes sorry $47000 not £47000 lol shame really!

Thanks for all the advice. I've been looking at rentals around $400 a week, I need a 4 bedroom, 5 ideally but that will have to wait a while. It will be Auckland probably but no idea where so I'm basing everything on assumptions!

Quote Originally Posted by helencall View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I've been looking at rentals around $400 a week, I need a 4 bedroom, 5 ideally but that will have to wait a while. It will be Auckland probably but no idea where so I'm basing everything on assumptions!
    There are of course regions where rents are not that high. I am not sure though if all the other criteria might be met.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast