Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from the US

Default Moving from the US

Hi All-

I'm new to this forum. My family is planning a move from the US to NZ - hoping to learn from others who have made the move.

Lots of questions -

- did you take any electronics over and use adapters? If so, what kind? I understand our TVs won't work. What about computers, vacuums, coffee makers, etc?

- my OH's employer will pay for temporary lodging for 3-6 weeks. We're hoping that will be enough time for us to get our bearings and find a more (semi) permanent place to live. We anticipate renting to start out - did anyone else go over in a situation like this? How long did it take for you to find somewhere to live? (We'll be in Auckland).

- we've heard to stock up on toiletries here, e.g. deodorant, razors, etc because they are so expensive over there. Any thoughts?

- we are going to be on a tight timeline for getting through the immigration process. His employer has an immigration advisor who I'm hoping will help provide great assistance in this area. We are starting from square one - he has a job offer and they've agreed he'll start in August (yes, this August). Any others have experience with a situation like this? Is it feasible to get through things so quickly? I guess the most important is for him to get his work documentation so he can start work - the rest of us can delay our arrival to get through things if necessary.

I'm sure there are plenty of things that I don't even know I need to ask. All advice is welcome!!

Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

To get you started till other people chip in, use the Search button on the blue bar above, or Google Advanced, to search this site. There are many old threads on some of the topics you mention. For instance, here's a selection about using US electrical goods in NZ. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Welcome Lisa! We are moving to NZ (from Oregon) in July. I am Australian (with permanent residency rights in NZ) so we will be applying for my American husband to get PR through the family approach (so I cant answer your immigration questions -sorry).

Where in Auckland will your husband be working? Have you thought about areas you would like to live in? Have you been to NZ before...? This forum is a wonderful resource, and I'm sure someone will come along shortly to help you with your questions too.

Amy.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

See my timeline in my signature for the potential speed with which you can get Residency with a job offer. For me, from EOI to starting work was 3.5 months. But we had no issues with medicals, which can delay things.

One of the pace setters is the FBI checks. The FBI quote that it will take 12 weeks to get one and you can't submit your Residency application without it. Luckily ours came through in 7 weeks but some have taken the full 12. Get that started ASAP!

If your residency application isn't approved in time, your OH can always get a work visa to get started with the rest of you following, but this can be stressful, as others on here have experienced. Do you need to sell a house in the US first?

We weren't in Auckland but we had lodgings paid for two weeks, in which time we found our own short-term rental for another 2 months. Then when our container was close to arriving, we found our current house. Renting is a very quick process over here.

I would do a big Wal-Mart or Target shop to tide you over. Things can be quite pricey over here but we try and stock up when things are on sale.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any US electronics. The voltage is different over here and you may end up frying a few things (I don't speak from experience!). Things like laptops should be fine as they have a variable voltage system. And mobile phones can be charged (although these may need unlocking to work on a kiwi mobile network). We still had a lot of our UK electronics which work on the same voltage anyway so we have just changed plugs on items or on the UK four-way adapters to make them work. If you do want to bring your electronics, you'll probably need to buy some "step down" transformers that will convert the voltage from the higher NZ levels to US 110v. But these are expensive and bulky. Not a problem for shipping in the container but you don't really want them in your kitchen for your coffee machine/toaster/kettle etc!

Thanks for the responses and information. I did search old posts and found some useful information on electronics. It's good to hear that we might be able to make it over there together by August. We'll get started on the FBI background check right away - plan to get fingerprinted this week! From what I've been able to gather by reading the NZ government information, I think we could go ahead and make appointments to start the medicals as well (please correct me if I'm wrong).

My husband is taking a position at the University of Auckland. He's been to NZ, I haven't. From what I've researched and heard from others (people who have been there and a good friend who's been in Wellington for 3 years), I'm looking forward to the opportunity to be there. Two of our family's physicians said they looked into going over, but NZ wouldn't accept their licenses! We feel so fortunate that we'll be able to have this experience.

We don't know about the house yet - at first we were going to go the lease route. There are some corporations who lease in our neighborhood for their contracted employees. But the more we think about it, we may put it on the market (although, the market is pretty bad over here as I'm sure you all know). If we decide to do that, I know we'll look at carrying the mortgage for a while until it sells. In the long-run, though, it may be less of an international headache to sell than lease. Any words of wisdom on this topic will be appreciated! I'll search the forum to see what's come up on this before.

Thanks again! So far I've found really useful information here and it makes the whole endeavor seem slightly less daunting.

Lisa

Hi, based on my experience moving from USA myself...I would say, don't bring electronic stuffs unless stuffs like laptop charger, or anything that can do both 110-220v. Otherwise, it would be a waste. I mean you can buy step up for all those stuffs but the price of the step up is not cheap either. So if I could turn back the time I wouldn't bring my electronic stuffs. Coffee makers and vacuum cleaner I bought new one again here (for the sake of servicing in case something happens to get spare parts).

Stuffs like toiletries is pretty good idea. Even though, you will eventually will get used to with anything that is here.

If he works in University, is it the one close to city then? if yes, you guys can start of in the city to get used to with the whole things. That's what we did. We live in the city for 3.5 years before we move to suburban area which depending on what's going on in your life. For us, school kids are important so yeah...

Good luck...

I went to Farmers and Briscoes (department stores) and priced appliances on a trip back to NZ a couple of weeks ago. The following prices are 'on sale' and the lowest I saw. Prices are NZ $.

Toaster $30
    Electric jug $50-60 (aka electric tea kettle)
    Hand mixer - $50
    Vacuum - $200+ (no uprights - only cannisters)

I don't drink coffee so I didn't price a 'Mr Coffee' type appliance - in fact, I'm not sure I even saw one. Most people use a plunger.

Electric heaters are very expensive compared to the U.S. I use a DeLonghi electric oil-filled radiator which I paid about $80 each in the U.S. The same heater in NZ is about $249. I plan on taking my heaters to NZ and buying a transformer for them.
    Chances are that your Auckland accommodation won't have central heating. You might look into buying a couple of these heaters and taking them with you....but check first to make sure you can use a transformer with them (I haven't checked on mine yet)

Forget bringing any large appliances. I went into a Mega Mitre store NZ's version of Home Depot) and priced large appliances. You can buy a large side-by-side frig for about $2500. Dishwasher for $1000 on up, clothes dryer $800. I saw a basic washing machine at the Warehouse for less than $600.

You can check out prices online:
    Mitre: http://www.mitre10.co.nz/
    Briscoes: http://briscoes.co.nz/
    Farmers: http://farmers.co.nz/

Hope this helps answer your question about appliances.

Another thought: We're used to going into Wal-mart or Costco and buying large bottles of vitamins, tylenol, etc. No so in NZ. I'll stash a couple of large bottles of these in my container - but will open them first so they look 'used'.

Another thought: We're used to going into Wal-mart or Costco and buying large bottles of vitamins, tylenol, etc. No so in NZ. More expensive and not available in the jumbo bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    I went to Farmers and Briscoes (department stores) and priced appliances on a trip back to NZ a couple of weeks ago. The following prices are 'on sale' and the lowest I saw. Prices are NZ $.

Toaster $30
    Electric jug $50-60 (aka electric tea kettle)
    Hand mixer - $50
    Vacuum - $200+ (no uprights - only cannisters)

I don't drink coffee so I didn't price a 'Mr Coffee' type appliance - in fact, I'm not sure I even saw one. Most people use a plunger.

Electric heaters are very expensive compared to the U.S. I use a DeLonghi electric oil-filled radiator which I paid about $80 each in the U.S. The same heater in NZ is about $249. I plan on taking my heaters to NZ and buying a transformer for them.
    Chances are that your Auckland accommodation won't have central heating. You might look into buying a couple of these heaters and taking them with you....but check first to make sure you can use a transformer with them (I haven't checked on mine yet)

Forget bringing any large appliances. I went into a Mega Mitre store NZ's version of Home Depot) and priced large appliances. You can buy a large side-by-side frig for about $2500. Dishwasher for $1000 on up, clothes dryer $800. I saw a basic washing machine at the Warehouse for less than $600.

You can check out prices online:
    Mitre: http://www.mitre10.co.nz/
    Briscoes: http://briscoes.co.nz/
    Farmers: http://farmers.co.nz/

Hope this helps answer your question about appliances.
    You can get all the items in this list much cheaper than quoted here regarless of if on 'sale'.

Try Price Me for some comparison shopping.

There are upright vacuum cleaners available but much more expensive than cylinder.

You can get heaters much cheaper as well especially at end of season.

If you are going to use a heater with a step down transformer then please check on the power rating as any decent heater would be 2400W which would require a very large (and probably expensive) transformer.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast