Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiences of living in Auckland

Default Experiences of living in Auckland

Hi there,

I was just wondering what living in Auckland is like. Am debating a move there when we eventually arrive (pending all goes ok with the application). I originally wanted to go to Nelson, but a lack of jobs have forced me to look elsewhere.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

sarah

Ask me 2 years ago and I would of steered clear of Auckland I am not a city girl but I love it! i like the weather, the beaches and the fact you can still live away from it all I live in Torbay but commutable to the city, Having said that I am not a nightlife person so can not answer that question but there are plenty of restaurants and things to do without feeling you are sharing with 1.4m others!
    We also get to see shows, and concerts and games like All Whites on our doorstep!

Auckland is so large and can be quite different in some areas. Would you be likely to be living up north, south, east or west? I live in South Auckland. The particular area I am in is not as nice as other areas.

Auckland covers such a vast area and range of lifestyle options that you can really make it what you want by where you choose to live.

When we first thought of moving to NZ neither DH nor myself want to move to Auckland as we'd been led to believe "it's like London". Neither of us are city people, however it's where the job came up. Initially we moved to Half Moon Bay (also saying we'd never live in the Eastern suburbs) and enjoyed it. After 18 months we decided to take the plunge and move out to the countryside and try rural living. We are now living between Kingseat/Waiau Pa/Patumahoe, and Pukekohe or Waiuku are only 15 minutes drive away for general shopping and Botany Town/Sylvia Park shopping malls are around 30 minutes, with the cbd not much further. For us we have country living with the closeness of the city should we require it, a great result.

I'm a born and bred Aucklander so probably a bit biased but Auckland really is great. It's a big city but it doesn't feel like it. There's so many lovely parts, I love that it's surrounded by sea (that's one thing I really miss), and it has everything you could ever need!

There are downsides - roads for a start - but for me the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

I really can't wait to get back

Auckland in reality is 8 cites which got merged into one last November. So when you say Auckland where do you mean?

As others have said it covers a huge area so it will depend on where you are going.
    I for one cant wait to get back, loved the north shore area and lived in Arkles Bay, cant beat it

Smile

lets be clear the traffic is nothing like the M25/ or M1 commute but if you are used to quieter roads then yes it is busy,
    as others have said lots or suburbs all different offering different lifestyles, The book where to live in Auckland gives an insight, and the kind of lifestyle you want. You tend to find people tend to stay in the areas where they live, to shop etc

I'm in West Auckland and love it out here. Village feel and the Waitakere ranges and some stunning beaches on our doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienke View Post
    I'm in West Auckland and love it out here. Village feel and the Waitakere ranges and some stunning beaches on our doorstep.

I'm in the West as well Nienke and I too love it out here, just over the ranges you have some fantastic beaches, takes me no time to get in to the City (outside of rush hours) and some stunning places all within 30 mins of where I live.

Sums it up really, Mrs was on Skype to her mother this morning, I was pottering, heard her say "so glad we are here, our quality of life is so much better"........and to think, before I dragged her and my kids to the other end of the world neither had set foot in NZ. Just glad they trusted my judgement

kejktfc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast