Thread: Is there a Science Teacher shortage in NZ?

Default Is there a Science Teacher shortage in NZ?

Hi all,
    We'd really appreciate some feedback on this - esp. those of you already in NZ and better yet in secondary education. Just got an e-mail from the consultant at Oasis Education cautioning us about spending the money on getting my OH's quals evaluated. Wanted us to be aware that the demand for overseas teachers - even in physics/chem is not as good as it was a year ago - global economy etc etc.
    So before we start spending money and throwing ourselves into this wholeheartedly I wonder if anyone has some insight into this?
    We are going to email some school districts directly just to see what their take on it is.
    We are especially interested in the Nelson/Marlborough/Canterbury regions -although beggars cant be choosers!
    thanks in advance - the help here is always very appreciated

I'm sorry I can't help you answer your question. I've written to Oasis showing my interest in primary school, but they haven't gotten back to me which I'm surprised. I thought they would be more professional and at least respond saying they got my email, application, etc. How long did it take them to write to you?

It took a week for them to get back to us. They did indicate it might take some time as they get many emails.

I did get to hear from them finally. I just don't really know if they can help me right now because they deal with primary schools which is the field I am qualified for, but when applying under the long term category for Skilled Migrant I chose Early Childhood so I know I have to apply for jobs right now either under that or Special Needs in case I get WTR. I don't think I'd be allowed just to take any primary job, but I'm not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurefamily View Post
    Hi all,
    We'd really appreciate some feedback on this - esp. those of you already in NZ and better yet in secondary education. Just got an e-mail from the consultant at Oasis Education cautioning us about spending the money on getting my OH's quals evaluated. Wanted us to be aware that the demand for overseas teachers - even in physics/chem is not as good as it was a year ago - global economy etc etc.
    So before we start spending money and throwing ourselves into this wholeheartedly I wonder if anyone has some insight into this?
    We are going to email some school districts directly just to see what their take on it is.
    We are especially interested in the Nelson/Marlborough/Canterbury regions -although beggars cant be choosers!
    thanks in advance - the help here is always very appreciated
    The consultants may be trying to add some caution as there are no guarantees. The economy definitely has meant that teachers are leaving teaching at a slower rate. But there are still openings. One way to gauge the demand for teachers is to sign up for email alerts from the Education Gazette. (http://www.edgazette.govt.nz/) You can put in a filter for the region and/or subject and then each time there is an opening, you will get notified. More jobs come up for the start of the year but there seem to be a few coming out all the time.

Hi Millieandme,
    thanks for the suggestion. Oasis actually very optimistic about OH finding work so things are a bit more positive for us esp for the North Island. we had hoped to zone in on the south so we will use all the resources your suggested plus contact schools directly.
    Are you teaching yourself? Auckland was not on our desired list just because of the size of the city but after doing more extensive research it seems that some of the outlying areas sound really nice too.
    thanks for the help!