Thread: Cable vs Satellite

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Cable vs Satellite

Question for all you experts out there...

We're currently using Freeview through our PS3 and PlayTV box. We get a HUGE amount of interference on any recorded programmes, it hops, skips and jumps its way through any programme. Sometimes it's worse than others. It's annoying us enough to actually consider paying either our service via satellite or cable and having MySky.

We live near the top of a hill in Island Bay, Wellington. Mr Manks is concerned that we'll still get the interference if we go with satellite reception. But cable is a bit more expensive ($20-$30 a month).

Does anyone know if the reception will still be affected with a satellite?

Are you getting your Freeview from satellite? If not, you can, it works well and is still free.

Do you already have a dish?

If they can establish a line of sight between the dish and the satellite then no you are unlikely to have any interference (normally).

Sometimes you can get trees / foliage in the way and it cuts down the signal, you can also get rain fade when there is a heavy downpour.

Otherwise, you may just need a new aerial.

Ian

When is it worst? Is it when there's wind, or when it's stormy? See if you can work out why first. If it's windy, then it may jsut be that the connector on the roof is rusted / loose and so an easy fix. If it's really the reception that's poor where you are, then a signal booster may solve the problem.

Satelite can still occasionally get interference, but it's pretty rare and in the uk was normally when it snowed heavily or was absolutely torrential rain. Not had and problems so far here in TGA, but it's not impossible. Rare enough not to be an issue.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I'm actually wondering if it's anything to do with the signal or just the PS3 Play TV system as we seem to have problems whenever we're NOT watching live TV, like when we pause it or when we've got a recorded programme. Hmmm.

We do have a dish on the roof (previous tenants I assume) and I've no idea if the signal is coming through that or the normal aerial. It wasn't even connected to the socket when we first moved in. In order to get a signal, Mr Manks had to get into the loft and swap the cables around until we found a signal!

When we moved into our rental 3 years ago, I paid to get the aerial replaced. I think it had probably been on the house for 20 years or so and it was covered in rust. The new aerial did the trick and gave us a perfect DTV signal.

By the way, if you're watching DTV through Play TV on your PS3, the signal is coming through the aerial, not the dish. The powers that be in New Zealand have confused a whole generation of Kiwis by calling the free versions of Digital Terrestrial TV and Digital Satellite TV both Freeview.