Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 years to citizenship?

Default 7 years to citizenship?

Since the change from PR to just R recently does this mean that it now takes 7 years to get citizenship? ie convert resident visa to permanent residence visa after two years and then five years of holding PR before you can apply for citizenship? I've taken a look at the link below but it still specifies permanent residence as being the permit required during the qualifying period. Is it that the Citizenship language hasn't caught up with the INZ change in terminology or are they making it that bit harder? Anyone know?

http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...enDocument#six

I think your second guess is right and the language of the citizenship information hasn't caught up. I haven't heard that there has been any change at all in the conditions for citizenship - the meaning of them, that is.

Colleague just got citizenship last week - been here 6 years.

what i understood from INZ website is the 2 years of first PR can be included in the total of 5 years its not 2 + 5 years

Really ? I thought INZ count from the date that visa issued as a resident. Oh that's a long long way.

Quote Originally Posted by mamoun1982 View Post
    what i understood from INZ website is the 2 years of first PR can be included in the total of 5 years its not 2 + 5 years
    Yes that is right from my understanding. When you first set foot in New Zealand with your 'Residence visa'(previously permanent residence permit) the clock towards 5 years is ticking. Of course you must also satisfy the 'presence' requirements etc during those 5 years.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyMacgie View Post
    Really ? I thought INZ count from the date that visa issued as a resident. Oh that's a long long way.
    Counting is only from visa activation, not issue, for timing towards (new) PR, and towards citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Counting is only from visa activation, not issue, for timing towards (new) PR, and towards citizenship.
    Sorry to bring up an old thread. Can you clarify what it means by "Counting is only from visa activation"?

Do I count 5 years from the date i lodge my PR application (Sept 2007, this is approval or lodge date from INZ website) or 5 years from the issue of residence permit (june 2008 - this is date on blue sticker).

EOI was approved in October 2007

Thanks

5 years from the day you set foot in New Zealand and activate the visa.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    5 years from the day you set foot in New Zealand and activate the visa.
    Yup. Even though you have the blue stickers in your passport, you're not actually a resident of NZ until you set foot here and have the visa stamped in your passport too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast