Thread: Gifts in Container

Question Gifts in Container

Please help...
    Our container arrives in just over a week. We have some wedding gifts that we have not opened as they were brought by relatives for us to take to NZ. Will we have to pay duty on these are they are brand new...but they are gifts?! Thank you x

Quote Originally Posted by joules1000 View Post
    Please help...
    Our container arrives in just over a week. We have some wedding gifts that we have not opened as they were brought by relatives for us to take to NZ. Will we have to pay duty on these are they are brand new...but they are gifts?! Thank you x
    I have no idea, but why don't you just phone customs or email and ask them straight? I emailed them a couple of t.hings and they were really helpful

We shipped our stuff here a week after getting married and had several wedding gifts in the container that had not been used. I declared about £1000 of stuff as new and unused and stated on the forms that they were wedding gifts, and we weren't charged any duty or GST on these items. This was over three years ago, though, and we may just have been lucky.

Technically then yes, you should get charged. In reality, probabably not.

Are the rules written to specifically cover your case, no not really. I only say this as I'm always keen to see that people don't try and circumvent the rules written to support local businesses, but in your case it's not as though you're deliberately taking measures to disadvantage Kiwi businesses. We had a coffee machine which was replaced under warranty just before we shipped our stuff. That came in the container in brand new boxes and with brand new accessories, but didn't get charged. We declared a few bottles of alcohol (single malt whisky) and that didn't get charged for either.

We declared some wedding gifts. Customs queried if they were for us or for other people. OH told them they were for us and that he was too tight to ship wedding gifts for anyone else! No customs charge was applied for those items.

Here's the info from the NZ Custom's website:
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers...ters/Gifts.htm

"Gifts are any items sent from persons abroad to persons resident in New Zealand that are unsolicited (unasked for) by the recipient and relate to a special occasion eg birthday, wedding, Christmas etc.

If the value of the gift does not exceed NZ$110, the gift will be imported free of Customs charges.

If the value of the gift exceeds NZ$110 Customs charges will be payable on the value of the gift that is in excess of NZ$110 eg if the gift is valued at NZ$300 Customs charges will be payable on NZ$190. The Customs charges applicable will vary according to the item being sent and you should contact any Customs office to discuss this."

That's all really helpful, thank you