Thread: visitor to resident questions

Default visitor to resident questions

Hi all

Once our house sells we are planning on coming to NZ on visitor visas, and hopefully finding work then going for PR. If all goes to plan, is there anything anyone recommends we do before getting on the plane?

Also, couple of random questions, our daughter is in the middle of orthodontic treatment, does anyone have experience of handing over to a NZ dentist?

Finally, can we get things shipped over later if we do get residency, or do we need to be ruthless and just bring suitcases? (scary!)

Thanks in advance
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by 5kings View Post
    Also, couple of random questions, our daughter is in the middle of orthodontic treatment, does anyone have experience of handing over to a NZ dentist?

Finally, can we get things shipped over later if we do get residency, or do we need to be ruthless and just bring suitcases? (scary!)
    For orthodontist, if you can bring over notes on work done so far then that would be useful, if not then they will attempt to contact the dentist for the information directly. If this fails they should still be able to take over the work without any existing info - will of course need new x-rays etc.

If you are moving to the Wellington region then I can recommend an orthodontist for you.

For shipping, you can ship at any time, the only difference is if you have to pay duty on your household effects.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    For orthodontist, if you can bring over notes on work done so far then that would be useful, if not then they will attempt to contact the dentist for the information directly.
    None of the dentists when I called round were interested at all in previous notes - all insisted on x-rays and an initial check up. About $200 IIRC. They took a lot of photos too - something that my dentists in the UK had never done.

Re things to do. Make a list of genuine numbers (not 0845) that you can use to contact insurance, utility, pension, etc etc with all your account numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    None of the dentists when I called round were interested at all in previous notes - all insisted on x-rays and an initial check up. About $200 IIRC. They took a lot of photos too - something that my dentists in the UK had never done.
    Agreed about dentists, but did you see an orthodontist? Where they were most definitely interested in previous notes if available.

Ian

Ah, sorry, that's different? Wear white coats, cause pain, cost a fortune... I get them confused

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Re things to do. Make a list of genuine numbers (not 0845) that you can use to contact insurance, utility, pension, etc etc with all your account numbers.
    www.saynoto0870.com is pretty cool

Hi 5Kings
    I did just that
    Entered with tourist visa Oct (to tie in with job adverts for new school year)
    applied and got work permit Feb (tied in with start of Term)
    applied and got PR July

So when I left UK I didn't know whether it was a 6 month holiday or I was going to be able to stay

I got a financial adviser who explained what I need to get organised if I was staying in NZ
    I took opportunity to have a huge clear out - rarely, I miss a few things that I didn't bring - not because I want/need them but I miss having 'familiar things around' me
    stuff I wanted to keep went into storage with company that would also ship to NZ if I stayed (they needed postal address to start shipping process and I didn't have one for a few months)

I had a bit of an emotional wobble on the 6 month date and then again on the 1st year date - weird

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    Hi 5Kings
    I did just that
    Entered with tourist visa Oct (to tie in with job adverts for new school year)
    applied and got work permit Feb (tied in with start of Term)
    applied and got PR July
    Wow, brave Tea Drinker! So , what work visa did you apply for - I guess that was after you'd got a job offer?

As a teacher I came under the skilled migrant category

hardest thing was although I got job offer in November the job started in Feb I was granted the work visa a few days before the job started

Immi CO rang me and said that I had applied 'too early' (Nov)

I explained that the Principal needed to know before the end of Dec Term that I was definately going to be available to start work in Feb

my CO rang the Principal and explained that I would get a work visa...just not until Feb!

All worked out in the end