Thread: Teenagers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Teenagers

Teenagers Our 17yr old daughter will be going out to NZ with us on a student's visa. As we are not quite sure when we will actually arrive in NZ yet, could be within the next couple of months or it could be after Xmas, what happens if when we get there she decides that she doesn't want to return ro school & instead would like to work. We're in the US & school has just returned after summer vacation. She is in her senior year now & has managed to get all her all her subjects worked into this semester so that she could graduate at Xmas. This is in a way her delay tactics, she really is looking forward to a life in NZ but at the same time is apprehensive about leaving the States & her friends.

When NZ came into the picture almost a year ago now, the kids were going to finish school over there & that was OK with her. She'd like to go on to University & we have found out that the course she wants to study (Equine management) is available at Massey University in Palmerston North & is a year shorter than over here too. I think really she'd like to take a gap year which is fine with us, but now we're a bit confused about her visa. Can you change them easily once you get to NZ?

Some of you may know what teens are like they can try to bring on senile dementia & honestly it's beginning to work with us. :eek

I don't know much about changing visas, but I am thinking of doing the same thing.
    I am going over there sept. 21 (maybe the 14th) on a work holiday visa so I can get acclimated before going to school. I know you can apply for those types of visas while over there on a whv. I am 20 (today!!), moving to dunedin (lots of universities), renting a house and going to look into going to school down there.
    Since she isn't 18 yet she cant apply for a work holiday visa yet.
    But is she can wait till her b-day I think a whv would be best for a year then apply for a student visa if she decides to stick around.
    My sister was going to do the same thing. She had the student visa and was ready to go but got offered a massive scholarship to a private school here in the states. She was very nervous about just going over there and then right to school, though it is probably the best way to meat people.

I don't know if this helps you any but I thought I would try.
    If she would like some impressions that I have after I move there my e-mail address is mr.bigalsworth@excite.com.
    My parents still have a good deal of information from my sister that I an enquire about when they return next week.

Good Luck!

Nick

HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY!!!!

Yippeeee, Happy Birthday.....its beer time :mrgreen:

belated happy birthday!

Thanks Nick & belated happy birthday. She won't be 18 'til April & hopefully we'll be out there before then. I hope you'll keep us all informed of your progress, & thanks for your e-mail address we just might be in touch with you just to get a prospective from someone close to her age.

Thank you everyone!
    Yeah, not a problem.. Just mention the forum in your e-mail so I don't accidentally delete it

Good luck!!