Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right thing? Renting with pets? Where do we stay?

Default Right thing? Renting with pets? Where do we stay?

Hi guys,

Really hoping there are some wise words out there to help with some of my queries.

Firstly I'm like a yo-yo at the moment thinking about this life changing move we are about to embark upon. We are hoping to arrive in August, we have three children 10, 8 and 6 and I am terrified what we are deciding will impact negatively upon them. Yes, they are young enought to make new friends but its the whole turmoil of leaving the old ones and the very place they were all brought up so far
    I'm an only child about to leave my mum who is 67 for the first time ever, plan is she will follow however. She's been brilliantly positive though.(Ramblings of a mad woment ) Can those of you guys out there who have made the move vouch for a better standard of life for families like us??? (It's a big ask I know and you have to work at what you want)

Ok how about when we first touch down, where would be the best option to stay until we get the chance to find rented accommodation?

Also has anyone any experience of trying to rent a property knowing that there are two dogs on the way? Is there a frosty reception from property owners?

Sorry to rant a bit at the top I am chilled really

We leave in 6 weeks. We have a 4 and 2 year old and 2 beagles who wil be coming out 3 weeks after we arrive, hopefully giving us sufficient time to find somewhere to rent. I shall keep you posted on how it goes! When we went out there and visited friends with dogs the dogs slept outside. It is possible to get somewhere to rent with pets but they may stipulate dogs have to stay outside. Not sure how are's would cope with that but in the short term its an option. Just something you may want to be aware of. Sure they'll be some good advice on the way. Good luck x

we rented a holiday bach both in wellington the first time we came and in Auckland In Welly we had to pay more pw for 1 dog! There are motels, with 2 dogs you may struggle also the time you are planning to arrive with the Rugby world cup, accomodation is scarce as well, depending where you are headed. We bought quickly for the reason of limited supply but this does not suit eveyone!
    With regards children they are at the right age we have ping ponged but DS has survived and is now enjoying life (aged 10 he was 7 when we first came)
    best of luck

Also often mentioned is advice to try to talk to the owner in person, to make an impression as being decent people, and to offer to add into the contract a clause that you will have the place professionally cleaned before leaving. (Obviously, you would have to have any damage that the dogs did repaired anyway.)

Thanks for replies guys,

Keep me posted regarding accommodation at the other end. We are really excited about leaving I can't wait.

Keep the comments coming

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Trying to find a rental with one dog, let alone two, is generally quite tough. But don't despair, it can be done.

We have a dog and we went along to view the property and get to know the landlords before mentioning this fact. Despite mentioning they didn't want animals, in the end they were quite happy to have a dog in the house as they liked and trusted us (fools ). As JandM says, we offered to have the carpets professionally cleaned upon vacating the property. We also offered a bigger bond (deposit) but they weren't too bothered about that.

We're landlords in the UK and had tenants with cats the first time around. We asked the same of them. They didn't get the carpets professionally cleaned upon leaving but we had it done and then took it out of the deposit.

We had no problem finding motels, units etc with two dogs when we first arrived - they usually advertise in the AA guide books.

When looking to rent we spoke to all those who said no dogs and several agreed when they saw the size of them (2 KCC Spaniels). No problem.

We arrive in NZ with (OH, me and our three girls) in mid July. Our dogs will arrive a few days before us and have another 5 days in quarantine before we can retrieve them - I will also be watching the thread to see how people go looking for a dog friendly rental situation. The big thing for us is a securely fenced yard as I am afraid the dogs will wander if in an unfamiliar place - and we're finding fully fenced yards to be a bit uncommon.

Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post

When looking to rent we spoke to all those who said no dogs and several agreed when they saw the size of them (2 KCC Spaniels). No problem.
    That is encouraging!! We found that a lot of short term furnished rental places agreed to the dogs (despite advertising NO DOGS). Seems they are happy to have the rent in the winter months.

Any updates from where you all stayed short-term with a dog? I'll be in the same boat come January. I have a medium-sized Catahoula mutt who is very sweet but looking on trademe gets disappointing because most posts say NO PETS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast