Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Auckland areas..where to start?

Talking South Auckland areas..where to start?

Hi

I have noticed there is a lot of information on this forum of where to live in the northern part of Auckland. However, we are seeking information on areas to the southern end Auckland due to job possibilities at Auckland Airport.

We are a family of 3 (with a 6 year old) so schooling is very important. Are there any low crime areas south of Auckland city? An area within 40/50 mins of airport would be great. Have no idea where to start. Some kind of guideline would be very much appreciated.

Hello and welcome.

There are lots of VERY NICE areas where you're talking about - I'm sure you'll get comments from people there when NZ wakes up. The unpleasant stuff you've picked up on tends to be in pockets - not to say it doesn't exist, but you don't have to be right in the middle of it.

Karaka Lakes and waterside could be a good option if you want to be more south then manukau

it will all depend on your budget thou.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa/toby View Post
    Hi
    An area within 40/50 mins of airport would be great. Have no idea where to start. Some kind of guideline would be very much appreciated.
    Areas within 40-50 minutes of the airport are definitely not restricted to South Auckland. The new motorway links make it much easier to access the Airport from west, central and south.

So don't necesasarily restrict yourself to South Auckland, you might need to try it out once you get here to get an idea of travelling times and traffic at the times you will be travelling (I know the south western - southern link can be pretty awful travelling south in the evenings).

There was an article in the Weekend Herald about Mangere Bridge (must be somewhere close to Ambury Park). Now there's an area I never had considered, but the family talking about where they live seemed to like it.

Daniela

Depending on when you commute you could live almost anywhere in Auckland and work at the airport. My colleague's husband works at the airport and they live in Dairy Flat (North Shore) so it can be done.

Good luck with your search.
    Mrs B.

Thanks for the comments. I think a trip to Auckland to check out the suburbs and driving times to Airport will have to be a must. Maybe it is quicker to get around than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    Depending on when you commute you could live almost anywhere in Auckland and work at the airport. My colleague's husband works at the airport and they live in Dairy Flat (North Shore) so it can be done.

Good luck with your search.
    Mrs B.
    That's a definite when, commuting North of the bridge to the airport would be nightmare a hour either side of peak time for sure. Make no mistake in peak time, Auckland traffic is a bad, and there's little chance of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate cake View Post
    That's a definite when, commuting North of the bridge to the airport would be nightmare a hour either side of peak time for sure. Make no mistake in peak time, Auckland traffic is a bad, and there's little chance of improvement.
    Indeed if your working at the Airport you don't want to rely on getting across the bridge imho

Quote Originally Posted by mooncalf View Post
    Karaka Lakes and waterside could be a good option if you want to be more south then manukau

it will all depend on your budget thou.
    Personally, I can't see the appeal of Karaka Lakes and the expensive homes. I'm stumped as to know the reasons why people are moving there - please enlighten me if you can mooncalf.

DH works near the airport and we are slightly further south than Karaka, between Kingseat, Waiau Pa and Patumahoe. Clarkes beach is not too far either. Many of DH's colleagues live in Pukekohe. You'll be looking at 30 to 40 minutues travel time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast