Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will taking an extra qualification course here in Canada help me get a teaching job in nz?

Default will taking an extra qualification course here in Canada help me get a teaching job in nz?

I am taking two courses this summer. One will qualify me to teach special education (which is my dream job!) the other is an additional mathematics teaching qualification. I just began the courses today and taking two at once is going to be insane - i am also planning my wedding- AND very expensive. I would drop the math one, but I know mathematics and literacy teaching skills are highly valued in NZ. How much of an edge would having this course give me? do you think taking it is worth my time/ money/ stress?

Thank you everyone out there!

Can't offer any specific comments as I'm not Sp Ed teacher

have you tried asking NZ Teaching Council for their advice?

Not clear from your post whether you are already qualified as a teacher.

As documented in many posts here - your qualifications need to be accepted here in NZ.

Hi,
    I have an Ontario Teaching certificate that they are currently assessing right now (NZQA). I have 1 AQ course in Intermediate Math. From the questions I've asked and the responses I've gotten, they don't seem to officially recognize AQ courses because apparently when they register you as a teacher, you are a teacher, not a primary, not secondary...you can teach anything. So anywhere can hire you as long as you're a teacher.

That being said, I think it's more up to the individual school if the AQ course would suffice for them. I could be wrong. That's just the vibe I've been getting from people I've emailed. I'll see if I can find the email I've written and post it, and I can let you know when I get my NZQA assessment back if they recognized the AQ course or not.

Default Response from NZQA

Here is what I wrote them:

Hello,

I am currently certified as a Primary/Junior teacher in the province
    of Ontario, Canada. My husband and I are looking at coming to New
    Zealand in the next year or two and I would like to be able to teach
    when I am there. I realize that I have to get my qualifications
    assessed first but I have a couple of questions. Although I am
    qualified in Ontario to teach Primary/Junior grades (K-6), I am
    currently taking what we call an Additional Qualification course in
    Intermediate Mathematics (grades 7-10). In Ontario, this course will
    allow me to have a teachable subject in math and be eligible to teach
    grades 7-10 math. I am also taking another Additional Qualifications
    course in September which will extend my teaching qualifications to
    grades 11-12 math as well in Ontario as well as across Canada. When we
    come to New Zealand, I would like to teach at the secondary level, but
    am unsure if these AQ courses will be recognized or only my Bachelor
    of Education degree which is in Primary/Junior. If I will only be
    recognized to teach at the Primary/Junior level, is there a way to
    upgrade to secondary school in New Zealand or would I have to repeat
    my education degree. Additional information on Ontario's AQ system can
    be found on the Ontario College of Teachers website at:
    http://www.oct.ca/additional_qualifi...spx?lang=en-CA

I understand if you are not able to give me a concrete answer on my
    specific situation, but if you could let me know how you look at AQ
    courses from Ontario in general that would be great.

This was their response:

Thank you for your email.

The key requirement to be able to apply for teaching positions in NZ schools is to have teacher registration from the NZ Teachers Council.

Information about what is required for teacher registration is located at www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz It will be similar to what is required to be registered or licensed as a teacher in Canadian provinces e.g. the BC College of Teachers, the Ontario College of Teachers etc.

In NZ, though, school teachers are registered generically i.e. they are not registered as 'secondary' teachers or 'primary' teachers - they are registered as 'teachers'. Thus it is possible (and quite regularly happens) that people trained as primary teachers can and do apply for, and win positions in secondary schools and vice versa.

Each school in NZ is an employer in its own right. So teachers apply to the particular school (not a district education board etc) for positions they advertise. The school has the discretion to appoint the most suitable applicant to the position they have advertised. So if a primary teacher with additional quals/skills/experience in senior maths teaching and a passion for teaching senior students was the most suitable person for the NZ secondary school maths position (in the school's view) they could and may well appoint him or her.

For overseas teachers a key requirement for registration is to have your teaching credential assessed by NZQA as comparable to a NZ initial teacher qualification (be it ECE, primary or secondary - or in some cases a combination of these). When that happens a key registration criteria is met.

Although, as you say, NZQA would need to assess your qualifications - in general terms, I can say, standard sorts of B Ed (Pry) programmes from recognised and accredited universities in Canada often receive comparable recognition in NZ.

The additional studies you are doing may also receive recognition. The key is that they need to be a qualification course (that involves study, assignments, assessments and the award of a credential from a recognised HEI) of at least the equivalent of half an academic year in duration. If they are more of an inservice or professional development training course NZQA cannot recognise them as a formal qualification as such.

The Teachers Council (for registration) and the schools (for employment decisions), however, are obviously interested in the ongoing courses and training teachers have done during their careers.

Please see:-

www.teachnz.govt.nz

www.careers.govt.nz

www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz

www.minedu.govt.nz

for much more information on the world of teaching in NZ.

I've been a teacher and principal myself for 25 years and did an extensive study tour of education in parts of your fabulous country in 2004 - Canadians and Kiwis have much in common...

I hope this information has been helpful and best wishes for your plans ahead.

Regards

What a really kind and 'human' reply you got there.

What a great response from NZTC. Where do we rep them? ha.

I have always found the Tc to be extremely helpful and respond to queries individually, promptly and accurately. So yes go ahead and ask them!

Yes he wrote a great reply. Unfortunately I got my NZQA review back today. My Hons. BA is only comparable to a 3 yr BA here and also no mention of my AQ course. I got the equiv. of a Level 7 Graduate Diploma of Teaching for my B.Ed. and in brackets it says primary so I guess they didn't recognize my intermediate math AQ course at all.

Thanks for the detailed information about your experiences! Ouch the fact your AQ's weren't recognized is slightly frightening. I am hoping to teach special education and just invested in the $700.00 AQ course. . . it might be handy if i decide to return to Canada, and hopefully it shows a level of interest for my resume but I am guessing will not "officially" boost my chances. And your honors B.a. was considered a 3 year degree? That is also a bit scary!

The exact wording for not recognizing my degree as Hons was as follows
    "Bachelor degree qualifications from Canada typically contain a number of general education/liberal arts courses in a foundation or freshman year not related to the major subject(s) studied in following years. This is the case with your Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Religious Studies and is the reasont hat your degree has been assessed as comparable to a 3 year bachelor degree (360 credits) in New Zealand"

So maybe there are some Hons degrees which will be recognized as a 4 year degree if you didn't have general education requirements.

I am also going to email my evaluator back and ask about the AQ course. Either way an AQ course will at least look good on a resume for Special Ed. for you...it's better than nothing! From what I've looked into it though Special Education here has it's own post grad diploma but I haven't looked into it too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast