Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Television In New Zealand

Question Television In New Zealand

I read that NZ is switching from analog to digitial between 2012 and 2013, and that Sky TV has a pretty sizable market share, but I've not been able to find specific information about my favourite programs, like the CSI quartet, Lie To Me, Fring, Big Bang Theory, NCIS, A Touch of Frost, MI5, BSG, and the like.

Are those broadcast on the national channels? What about Fox HD, Fox Crime, AXN, AXN Mystery, Super Drama, and the like? Or is the programing the same, just on differently named channels? Or do you just order the boxed DVD sets when they become available?

Sky will get you most of them. They tend to be shown on Prime/UKTV although TV3 has house and the good wife. Can't remember where mentalist is on. There isn't a Sky1 equivalent here (although unless that's what Prime is supposed to be).

And we also buy box sets of Amazon.

Someone much cleverer/amusing than I has previously posted on here that NZ only has 4 channels, and they are all Channel 5. It's not quite that bad, but not far off.

Cool. A box set of Amazon. Must buy one.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by britgeek View Post
    I've not been able to find specific information about my favourite programs, like the CSI quartet, Lie To Me, Fring, Big Bang Theory, NCIS, A Touch of Frost, MI5, BSG, and the like.
    You can get CSI, Fringe, NCIS (the LA variety at least) on terrestrial TV. Check out the websites of the main channels:
    www.tv3.co.nz
    www.tvnz.co.nz
    www.primetv.co.nz
    www.skytv.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    There isn't a Sky1 equivalent here
    i.e. Sky1UK?

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    i.e. Sky1UK?
    ?? Sorry, don't understand. Is that a channel available over here? Haven't found that on my box if it is.

You are writing that there "isn't a Sky1 equivalent here". Assuming that "here" is NZ that makes "Sky1" being from somewhere else. And I just wanted to know if that would be UK.

Here in NZ we currently have "the Box" which AFAIK earlier had the name "SKY 1". I cannot find the evidence on the Sky NZ website (http://www.skytv.co.nz/Default.aspx?...21&art_id=5705) but only on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Box_%28New_Zealand%29).

Ahh, right. See what you mean. Yep, for some reason then the list of programmes made me thing they were from the UK (Touch of Frost on reflection!)

Not really ended up watching anything on the Box I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
    Cool. A box set of Amazon. Must buy one.
    I've got a harddisk with the internet downloaded on to it - would you like a copy?

A relative who used to have a computer shop swears that somebody came in with a floppy and asked him for the internet to be loaded onto it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast