Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orakei / Mission Bay area?

Default Orakei / Mission Bay area?

Hello!

My husband and I are moving to Auckland from the US at the end of the week and have been looking at suburbs of Auckland to rent a house. We are looking for a nice, safe area, close to CBD (don't want to commute more than 30 min.), restaurants, bars, beach within walking or biking distance a big plus, but not a must. We don't have kids, so not concerned with school districts. The Orakei/Mission Bay area looks like it might suit our needs. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the area and could give us their take. How long does it take to get across Tamaki Dr during rush hour? Think it would suit a late 20s couple who like to go out and have fun, but prefer to come home to a quiet street?

Thanks!
    Rose

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Our friends live in St Heliers and love it. We stayed with them on our recce and it's a lovely area. I got the bus with my friend into town at rush hour (7.30/8ish) and it took less than 30 mins and St Heliers is even further out than Mission Bay. It is certainly an area we'd look at if we were ever to move to Auckland.

Thanks! I keep hearing horror stories about the traffic, so I'm pleasantly surprised that the commute could be that short. Looking forward to house hunting.

Sounds like a good area for your needs.

Orakei is a bit of an odd one, it really depends on the street, the part of the street even. There is an interesting mix of state housing and million dollar homes, so I would recommend taking a look around the area. Mission Bay is more consistently expensive

There is a cycle path all the way into town along Tamaki Drive (some parts very new, some hardly usable, but still), and it should take you no longer than 25 minutes to cycle into the CBD (about 6-7 kilometres, maybe?), all flat.

I occasionally go out in Mission Bay to pretend I am in a big city with people going out and lights still on after 9pm

Daniela

You will love St. Heliers, and if you use the bus you will be first up and be able to get a seat!!

If we were in Auckland it would probably be St Heliers/Mission Bay area that we looked at although it is one of the most expensive. Has more of a village feel and very pretty. Good luck wherever you find yourselves

didnt live there but had friends there during our time in Auckland - loved the Mission Bay area, good luck!

Thanks, all! One last question, should I be more concerned about crime in the Orakei area? I found a beautiful rental home there that fits our budget (something that is a little harder to come by in Mission Bay and St. Heliers), but I'll be home alone during the day until I find a job. The hubby is a bit concerned about my safety, so we could always opt for a smaller place in Mission Bay/St. Heliers. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by RoseKumar View Post
    Thanks, all! One last question, should I be more concerned about crime in the Orakei area?
    It really isn't possible to say in general, as I pointed out above, Orakei is a bit of an odd area. You really need to look at the house, the street, the neighbours and see is you feel comfortable there. Personally, I would not have a problem living in Orakei from a safetey point of view, but ymmv.

We have friends who live in Orakei, and have no issues at all. But a general statement like 'St Helier's is safer than Orakei' is really not possible to be made.

Good luck with the search,

Daniela

OK, many thanks. I'm sure I'll be fine, but I'll make sure we drive around the area. In California, "state housing" usually means a lot of crime, so I was surprised that it is mixed with expensive homes in Orakei. I imagine it is different there than here. Looking forward to seeing the area. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast