Thread: Social Work

Question Social Work

Hi all,

Were due to arrive in Auckland in August, my partner has a job offer as a project manager. It looks like we will need to be based south, or south/west south/east of the Auckland CBD for his work. I am a Social Worker and am starting to look for work. I currently work with adults with Learning Disabilities, and I would like to continue to work with adults, either LD or mental health.

Can anyone offer ideas of good places to look? I am checking to ADHB website, and also found one charity called the challenge trust.

Also it would appear that to register with the NZ social work board I need to be in NZ? Is it correct that whilst a Social Worker does not have to be registered most jobs expect that you are?

Thanks for listening, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Holly

Hi

I'm a Child protection social worker and have found that social work jobs are thin out there.

I have sent out almost 20 applications over the last six months and understand that each post is receiving around 25 applications each.

I had some interviews but was advised that someone with local knowledge was the preferred applicant although they were very impressed with me etc etc.

Admittedly i am in a smaller city and you will probably have more luck going to Auckland.

Have you tried SEEK , to search for social work posts? Not sure about the learning disabilities field myself.

My understanding was that I could only register with the social work board once I was working and that it is not a requirement to begin working as a social worker here unlike the UK.

Also it costs alot of $$$ which some companies help with the process.

Good luck - you may want to start applying sooner rather than later.