Thread: Managing a hotel or guest house

Exclamation Managing a hotel or guest house

Hi everyone,
    We are three people from England and Germany, all fluent in English (and German obviously) as well as knowledge in other languages.
    We have have Management degrees and experience in the hospitality industry.
    At the moment we are in Switzerland but we would welcome the opportunity to move to New Zealand or Australia. Well, let's put it this way: we quit our jobs here.
    We are looking to run an Inn, Guest House or small hotel.
    We are experienced in openings and re-openings as well as the daily running of various sized hotels, golf clubs, pubs and restaurants.
    We are not ready to buy a business yet but looking for some one who would like to invest in a place and does not have the experience in hospitality. Or, maybe somebody who wants to retire but wants to see his business do well.
    If you are looking for someone or know of someone that is looking for an energetic, young and experienced management team please contact me.
    We'd really appreciated serious replies.
    Please also ask anyone that might know.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

With best regards
    Max

You tend to find that those sort of people usually sell a lease to you if you want to run that sort of place for them - average cost of around $200,000. Alternatively you could find employment in the industry.

Hello and welcome.

You don't mention it, but have you investigated the visas you will need in order to run a business in NZ? http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/

JandM, I have gone through the link you posted and I see that the entrepreur category would also be what I would be interested in. I have ample experience in restaurant management so would be interested in opening a restaurant there. However one thing is not clear. It doesn't say the minimum investment that is to be put in this kind of visa. It seems that there isn't any as long as there is a solid business plan. Am I right? If this is the case, I am very excited.

That's good news, if you can fit into this category. It doesn't take you direct to Residence, of course, but gives you a good step on the way there if you can make your business work.

The only thing I know of about required money is this, regarding the LTBV. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1059.pdf

K3 Maintenance funds
    You must provide evidence that you have, in addition to investment capital, sufficient funds for
    your maintenance and accommodation and that of any spouse or partner and/or dependent
    children who are applying for temporary visas to accompany you to New Zealand.
    Note that you and any accompanying family members must not apply for and be granted welfare
    assistance under the Social Security Act 1964 while in New Zealand during the currency of your
    temporary visas.