Thread: MAF Pet Import Application

Default MAF Pet Import Application

I am in the process of applying for our permit to import our two dogs. I have everything filled in, but notice that apparently I need the Rabies titer verification form filled in by both my regular vet and an "official veterinarian". Has anyone gone through this process from the US who can give me an idea of where I might find an "official" vet?
    Thanks,
    Amy.

It's any USDA certified Vet. Most Vets in the US are USDA certified, but it's worth asking your vet before having any work done if they are USDA certified.

I found this site that may be helpful. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulation..._faq.shtml#six, go to the frequently asked questions and you will be able to find out about the USDA Vet for your state. I recall with our cats we had to have an "Official Certified Vet" from the state check the documents and other test results completed by the "regular vet". In WA state I spoke directly to the "Certified Vet" who was very helpful and told me step by step what was to be done, by me and by him. Good luck.

oh yea- sorry. Lol I misread your question.

It's the head USDA vet for your region/state.

the contact info for various locations is here (select your state):
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/services/r..._disease.shtml

give them a call and ask how they would like you to proceed.

ACTUALLY- your vet should know how to do this and should send them the form themselves- the only reason I was doing it was because I worked for my vet.
    Last edited by dilanium; 17th May 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I have done some research and discovered the name and number of our 'official' state vet. He is in Salem (about 2 hours away) so I will make contact tomorrow and find out what to do next. Can I just fax the form to him with the titter test results I wonder...?

Amy.

Wow..$114x2 just to get the "official vet" to stamp the form that our "regular" vet filled in already verifying our dog's rabies titer tests. *sigh* Feel like we're doing nothing but handing out money to everyone at the moment (container co, pet import people, school enrollment fees, airfares, etc, etc, etc....) ...and off to the poor house we go! I know it's worth it, but I feel like complaining today!

Amy.

So now I am confused. I just had a rabies titre done (on our lab) about 1 month ago signed by my regular vet. This is not good enough or am I gathering that they have to before USDA certified? Is this for everything?
    I cannot 3 hrs to our 'state vet' for every appt.

Totally confused..

Hagabel: You don't need to go to the state vet for every visit, but they do need to be the ones to sign the MAF import permit application. (You can send the relevant originals to the state vet and they will stamp etc, and mail them back to you - so you don;t have to go in person).
    Amy.

We are still a ways out from all of this but I am already dreading it! As if worrying about the kids wasn't enough!!
    And the cost....! I hope our hairy hounds appreciate this.
    Where did you buy your crates from? We will need really big ones - both dogs are 90 and 110lbs each - why didn't we get mini somethings? LOL

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    So now I am confused. I just had a rabies titre done (on our lab) about 1 month ago signed by my regular vet. This is not good enough or am I gathering that they have to before USDA certified? Is this for everything?
    I cannot 3 hrs to our 'state vet' for every appt.

Totally confused..
    It's just to get the titre test verified, that's all.

Have you checked if your own vet is USDA certified? Apparently not all are (I know at least in our old practice wasn't) and you HAVE to have everything done by a USDA certified one, otherwise your certificate will not be verified.