Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrived yesterday

Default Arrived yesterday

Finally arrived yesterday - took me 33hours from time I boarded plane in Dublin to landing in Wellington.
    Feels quite weird being here- hoping I've made the right choice - maybe its just tiredness and missing OH - I hope so!!
    I start work Monday next so at least that will get me into a routine.
    Positives everyone from airport staff to B&B I am staying in have been very friendly.
    Did anyone else find it strange when they arrived and have reservations as well?
    On my own just for a month till hubby & dogs arrive.

I was certainly in a wierd drifty 'place' in my head moods for a while. Actually got worse the longer I was without my OH. Seemed odd, really no more than a work trip away - I was in a hotel, doing simmilar work, really it was so simmilar it freaked me out a bit.

Perfectly normal, and really you've moved rounf the other side of the world, it would be odd if it didn't feel odd wouldn't it?

Oh, and I remember from the recce that the jet lag makes me feel like that too in any case.

Tip from me. When you get to work then agree to every social thing that is offered even if oyu have no interest in it. Shows you make an effort, also there's a chance that you'll stike up a converesation with soemone else there under sufferance, and it helps you to get a feel for the dynamics of the team / office, etc. Ditto offers of dinner.
    Last edited by Duncan74; 17th May 2011 at 06:59 PM.

I agree it does fell strange in those very early days becuse on one hand everything is so different and on the other its so samey! We felt like rabbits in headlights, but that soon went once we started to familiarise ourselves with the locality and got our sleep patterns back!

All the best for your new life!

Yep, I felt very spaced emotionally for a good couple of months after arriving. Not that it was particularly unpleasant or on the surface all the time at all, but I knew I wasn't right in't head ;-)
    I was lucky that both me & OH arrived at the same time - I can't imagine the hard work it must be to face all the newness on your own. No-one to share those '... we're in New Zealand! ... & we're living here! ' moments with that jump into your head at the strangest times.
    Generally it's all been fab & I'm sooo happy I'm here, but that's not to say that it's always easy to get my head around. e.g. a few weeks after arriving, I screamed at my OH down the street then collapsed in tears just because he'd gone to move the car . I remember sobbing 'I know I'm only like this 'cos everything is strange & I'm out of place, but blub, blub, blub...' (I have a very understanding husband, am not one to cry much in private, never mind public & would have NEVER done anything like that in the UK).
    Hang on in there & you'll right yourself before you realise it. If it's a worry, maybe try to fix a date 3 or 4 months in when you'll allow yourself to reflect on whether the move was the right thing or not? When the question crosses your mind now, tell it to go away until that date because you'll struggle to draw any reasoned conclusions yet.

Welcome! Am sure it does all feel strange and will until your oh arrives and the dogs and your household things!!! Duncans advice of taking up all offers sounds like a great start. Good luck and here is to a months time!!

Welcome to Wellington!!

Don't treat your random emotions and thoughts too seriously, have a light touch and try to enjoy the moments and the newness of NZ life. Rarely in life will things ever be so vivid, so real, so alive, so raw ... make the most of it.

It can be bewildering and alienating at times tho'.

I have sent you a PM as my OH is in Welly on Thurs and happy to meet up for coffee if you fancy a bit of company/support - we've not been here that long so know the journey a bit.

well done getting this far ...all the best

It does get better...I sometimes think that it is sometimes to similar to the UK in many ways so that when something is different it really hits home. Also the surroundings, with overhead wires etc, seemed alien...just different construction and road layouts.

After a few months is starts to feel normal. It is strange how quickly that you get used to things. Duncan is right, take up as many offers as you can. I am starting to feel more at home now...and as of tomorrow I am no longer the office Newbie!

A month will pass faster than you know, particularly when you start work.

(((hugs))) and keep enjoying

All the best. (((())))

Quite apart from the 'other side of the world' thing, back in your old place if you'd spent 33 hours on unfamiliar stuff - work, say - with random not-very-restful rest times, you'd be feeling really peculiar at the end of it. You're NOT yourself yet, and it's not surprising. Give yourself permission to be boggled!

the thing is,... its a very weird thing to do... give away/give up most of the things that may define you from possessions to a home to friends etc without having replaced any of them yet. the lead up to moving is quite a negative experience by its very nature. So... good news! the fun starts here

Congratulations.
    I just remember how we felt on our reccie trips..I cannot imagine how weird it must be to have moved there esp w/out OH.
    Rest, and go easy on yourself..4 weeks is not that long!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast