Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time flyer

Default First Time flyer

After 2 months of processing my Student visa, its finally approved in April!

Now i'm just waiting for my departure date this Saturday (a 9 hr flight with Singapore Airlines) to Auckland Airport where i'll switch to a domestic flight to napier(My school [EIT], is located there).

But its been ages since i flew on a plane and with all this excitement that's surrounding my mind, its hard to get a clear picture of the arrival process.

Just like to know how will i go about changing to a domestic flight in Auckland Airport?

I'm only clear abt checking in my luggage 2hrs b4 the flight, but wat are the steps involved?

example
    Stage 1: ?
    Stage 2: ?
    Stage 3: ?
    Stage 4: ?

looking forward the the replies

Not sure about Singapore to NZ, but generally, make sure you're at the airport hours before departure. Sometimes the queue at the ticket counter will be very long.

For international flights, sometimes the ticket counter doesn't open up until two hours before the flight. If you're at the airport early, go the the ticket counter. If you don't see a queue for your flight, then ask someone or check the arrival/departure boards where it may give you a ticket counter number.

Make sure your luggage is within the weight limitations. Find out from Singapore Air what the weight limits are as well as the number of bags you can check. Bags are almost always weighed when you check in at the ticket counter.

Also check into security regulations. Most international airports do not allow you to carry anything on board that is dangerous, and no liquids or gels over 3.5 oz including cosmetics, toothpaste, etc. Singapore Air should have this on their website.

Again, not sure how tight the security is in Singapore, but in the U.S. we have to remove our shoes and jackets before going through security. I wear slip on shoes, easy to remove and I don't wear any metal belts, jewellery, etc. I have a small bag on a long cord that goes around my neck that carries my passport and boarding pass. Much easier to access - less likely to lose it.

Sometimes, there's a waiting area outside of security - and they announce when you can go through security for your flight. If you're not sure, ask someone.

If you aren't allowed to take drinking water through security, you can take an empty bottle and fill it once you're through security and at your gate...or buy another once you're through. There's usually duty-free shops, restaurants, bars, etc. near your gate.

Step 1: Check in for your flight at Singapore Air ticket counter. When they give you your baggage claim check, make sure it says AKL....possibly then NPE.

Step 2: Go through security - have easy access to passport and boarding pass.

Step 3: Go to your gate

Step 4: Wait there until you're told to board - usually in groups according to seat numbers.

Step 5: Enjoy the flight

Step 6: Arrive in AKL. You will go through customs here. NZ is REALLY strict about bringing food into the country and a cute little food-dog will come around and sniff your luggage. If you have food and haven't declared it, they'll fine you about $200 or $250 right there on the spot. Especially forbidden: meat, dairy, eggs, fruit, plants, seeds, etc. etc. If you have processed food such as cookies, candy, etc. you can declare it and after they take a look at it, they'll usually let you through. Declare ALL food.

Once you're in customs you have to claim your checked luggage from the carousel. Once you're through customs, then you either re-check your bag for Napier or carry it over to the domestic terminal. Quite a walk - or I believe there is a shuttle. You might have to check in again at the ticket counter. Not sure as Auckland is usually my final destination.

Step 6: Go through security again - but much more lenient than when you're taking an international flight. You can even take water with you!!

Step 7: Go to your gate - sit back, relax, enjoy the flight, etc. etc.

(can you tell I'm an old flight attendant?)
    Last edited by Dell; 18th May 2011 at 03:09 AM.

Wow, that's a heck of a informative reply!

Thx alot!

If your Auckland to Napier flight is booked on the same ticket (i.e. your e-ticket says Singapore to Auckland flight SQXYZ and also says Auckland to Napier flight NZABC or SQDEF) then you'll most likely be given the boarding pass for your Napier flight when you check in at Singapore. You'll still need to pass your bags through customs and then recheck them in at Auckland.

For recheck if your flight isn't with Air NZ or it is but leaves within 60 minutes of you getting out of customs then take them with you to the Domestic Terminal (free shuttle bus every 15 mins or a 10 minute walk).
    If you have more than 60 mins and it is an Air NZ flight then you can check your bags in at the transfer station on the ground floor of the international terminal and then make your way to domestic luggage free!

Re the transfer to the dopmestic terminal it's a 10 minute walk - not too bad. Tehre's a line painted on teh floor right outside and you follow that. Just a point, then for International to domestic then you come out of any door in international and turn RIGHT. Don't do what I did, and turn left and follow it ot the international terminal furthest from the domestic terminal. This happens to be right by the baggage transfer desk where you hand in your bags if you've time though. Air NZ goes from both ends of the domestic terminal, so depending on where youre going to then you may have a shorter or longer walk. Wellington & ChCH is at the end nearest the international. Tauranga is at the very far end and within the terminal it's a good 5 minute walk from one end to the other.

It is all well labelled, but of course after a long flight, you're panicky and so you fail to read any of that. There are several desks with volunteers in them to offer advice though.

I book both flights on the same day thru a tour agency, but not clear if i'll get both boarding pass, at the SG counter ._."

But all of your replies really help clear my doubts!

Its like my first long hour flight, so i'm predicting i'll be quite out of sorts after such a long journey. XD

But i'm hopeful that reading the signs will be enuff to guide me thru the airport.
    Last edited by AideMatsumoto; 18th May 2011 at 04:08 PM.

i'm predicting i'll be quite out of sorts after such a long journey.
    You hear people saying it's a big deal, but that's not necessarily right. I believe some of the effect is from what they expect. For my first long-haul flight, I had advice from a friend who often travels for his business - he said 1) don't worry, and 2) as soon as you get on the plane, change your watch to the time zone where you are headed, and as far as possible, live on THAT time for your eating and sleeping (you don't HAVE to go along with what the stewards are expecting, if you don't want a meal, for instance). As far as I'm concerned, and I've been to NZ from the UK both ways around the world, the only effect is a tendency to sleep at times when those around are awake, and vice versa - it's not illness. (I think if people find they're ill after a journey, they tend to blame it on the time difference, whereas it's more likely to be some germ they picked up through being with strangers in a new environment.)

There are plenty of signs in any airport, and if you find you are worried, there are also lots of attendants around, ready to help you.

The walk is easy to do in 10 mins so long as you're not hauling loads of luggage. Quite refreshing to stretch your legs after being squashed up on a plane for hours.

Also, if you have the time, pack a spare set of clothes at the top of your bags. There's a shower at the international terminal which works wonders for post-flight revival. Get the key & hire a towel from the flower shop lady

Thx for the advise JandM
    really keeps my mind at ease!.

@louiser - I'll be carrying a guitar hard case + laptop bag + main luggage.
    i'll arrive at Auckland by 10:45am, my domestic flight is at 2:30PM

i have a solid 3hrs 30mins+, so i'll take James 1077 advise and drop by the Domestic transfer at the ground floor and have my guitar+main transferred, and have a shower after.

I can shop for a pre-paid card for my phone while i'm at it

And thx again! You guys are the best!
    Last edited by AideMatsumoto; 18th May 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Vodafone shop is right by where you come out of Customs / MAF. Showers to the left on the way to bag drop (was unlocked, no need for a key).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast