Thread: Baggage allowance

Default Baggage allowance

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before but we as we are leaving on Saturday I am now panicking and need to know!

We are flying with Emirates from Manchester to Auckland and then from Auckland to Wellington with Air NZ. All of the flights have been booked on-line with Emirates. I emailed Emirates about our baggage allowance and they said we had 30kg each spread over multiple bags. I've printed off the tickets today and for the NZ leg it says we are allowed one piece of luggage.

When I emailed Emirates a while ago they said the 30kg extended to the Air NZ flight as they were booked on the same ticket. Does this mean they will be ok with multiple pieces of luggage too? Hope this makes sense!!

Many thanks
    Emily

Generally, if you're booked on two different airlines for one trip and on the same ticket, the int'l baggage allowance will apply to the domestic leg on another airline. In other words, your Emirates increased baggage allowance should apply to your Auckland to Wellington leg. I'd call Air NZ and confirm this.

TO Wellington then there shouldn't be much of a problem, but for other destinations then they advertise a lower limit because the planes can't physically fit all the luggage in! Some of the connecting flights use the 19 seater planes, and whilst they will try to get the bags on then they show a reduced limit because they can't guarantee it. Same with hand baggage, the physical space for bags isn't there (no overhead lockers) so they may pop some hand luggage bags in the 'boot' and then return that as you are walking off the plane. As I say, between AKL and Wellington then you shouldn't have any problems as it will be a jet jsut like are used for uk domestic / european flights.

Yes, definitely second what Duncan says!
    The planes which usually go to/ from Blenheim are so small that there is literally no space for any bigger handluggage, no overhead- lockers, and the space between the two seatrows (left and right) is just enough to walk through!
    I boarded the plane in Christchurch last year with a bag in my hand, some bottles I bought in Hongkong, and had to get out again and hand it over to the guy who was storing the bigger bags

Hi,

I just flew left last Saturday. I flew with Singapore to Auckland and then like you had to get internal(domestic) flight to Wellington with AIR NZ.
    I had extra baggage allowance of 40kg as migrant visa with Singapore (this was two suitcases)
    I also had small wheely suitcase for handluggage. I had no problems checking the suitcases in with Air NZ but they said they wanted to weigh my handluggage. It weighed 11kg and they said I was only allowed 7kgs so I would have to check it in!!
    I had valuables in it so I had to go to a luggage shop buy a small rugsack cost me 60 NZ dollars take out my valuables and then check small case in - they then charged me 20NZ dollars for extra bag!!
    I had gotton on 3 separate flights from Dublin to Auckoland with no probs-just internal flight with NZ
    Good luck its a long journey-internal flight Auckland to Welly quite rocky

Re the issue with hand baggage weights / rules which don't get carried through, then I genuinely carried a bin bag in my hand luggage for the eventuality as mentioned above. Ie to be able to split into 2 bags if needed. In fact this was more of a dodge as I was going through US where they had a 1 peice rule, but no weight, compared to the 2 cabin bags I was allowed on the flight, each of 7kg....

There's a bit of planning ahead and lateral thinking needed to be able to respond.

FWIW then the cabin bag weight limit is due to the safety of the lockers in case of turbulence / emergency and the strength of the catches.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and information. I am now going to be putting a bin bag in our hand luggage, just in case.

Anyway guys,do Singapore airline allows excess baggage for people with student visa?I heard you can apply for 10 kg extra.Is that true?can someone verify this?

The easiest would probably be to ask them......?