Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost for 1 dog Dulles to Akl..

Default Cost for 1 dog Dulles to Akl..

I have just been quoted $3000+ for transfer of labrador from Washington DC to AKL with an international pet transporter, one other a little cheaper if I book domestic portion.
    Any thoughts if this is really expensive or par for the course?
    Thanks,

Who are you going through? Have you checked with IPT?

I shipped my cat to LAX from CLE as cargo, they picked him up from there, did all the export paperwork, then sent him on plane to AUK.

This was back in 2008, but it cost about $1000 in total? and they helped with a screw up. But as you have a big dog then there may be no difference in cost.

Wow! That seems really expensive. I am starting to do research although it will be next fall before we go over. Like dilanium said - check IPT in LA. They seem to have the best rep for getting our dogs over the pacific. The trick is figuring out how to get to LA!. We are in the mid west - so still a fair hike for us too. They won't fly your animal out on the same day you have flown domestically to reach LA. My very preliminary thoughts are to fly to LA - see which domestic airlines can transport - direct flight so no opportunity for a screw-up, spend night - they have dog friendly hotels they can recommend or a kennel at their facility then fly dogs and us out next day or two.
    Ours are big dogs too! One lab/malamute and one extra large extra neurotic Wiemeraner!! I have started looking around at buying my own shipping crates too - I think it is cheaper that way also.
    Will you keep us updated? There is no way we can make this move without the dogs but I hate to think how much it is going to cost in the end
    Good luck

I will defintely keep you updated. 2 quotes within range of $3500-3600 but 1 company quoted extra large kennel (500) and mine is smaller so i am going ask for another quote. I got a quote with IPT and theirs was $2100 ish but only international part, not sure why we didn't get quote for domestic part too.
    I am going to ask them for another quote.
    Hubby probably going out earlier if he gets this job but dog cannot fly till end October under old import rules (new one under review) so will be travelling with 2 kids (4/6) and dog..think I will need transport from airport in DC so one less thing to worry about.
    I have visions of 2 kids, car seats, luggage and big dog with big crate....arrrrrrrrrrgh.
    Maybe I should send kids in crate with dog..

Will post back when I get more quotes.

Hope your hubby will be waiting at the other end with al large glass of something for you!!!
    We may be in same boat next year - hubby may go on ahead to secure job etc then I will follow with kids and dogs. Luckily my kids will be 10 and 13 by then so a little easier. i am just worried about the dogs getting there safely and not too traumatized by it all.
    Where are you heading too?

Look into getting quotes to fly them to LA yourself.

I flew my cat as cargo with continental.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Like Dilanium, I shipped our pooch myself from CT to LA with Continental. Cost about $250. They are by far the best US domestic pet airline and treat animals really well. IPT recommends them and they are actually priced very competitively.

I did most of the paperwork myself, with IPT's guidance, and their' charges were around $1,700 for a 30lb beagle. This included international flights (LA-WLG), pick up from LA airport, one night's boarding between flights (recommended), final vet check to get clearance to fly (and enter NZ!), transport to the airport for the flight.

Don't forget, all airline charges (domestic and international) are based on weight, and that includes the weight of the crate too.

On top of this you'll have all the vet costs for the three vet visits you'll need in the last 30 days before flying (cost us around $750) and the cost of the initial vet visit to do the rabies titer test (too long ago for me to remember!). Then there's the quarantine fees over here, which aren't included in the shipper's quotes.

Hope that helps

Thanks for all the replies. It was $325 just for the rabies titer..ouch.
    I would fly domestically with dog but with kids no way so I am going to probably send him 1 or 2 days before (Dulles is really near us) so I can see him off at airport whilst kids in school.
    We are headed to Hamilton as far as we know.

Thanks.

yes- but you don't need to fly with him. You can arrange to send him as cargo to LA, and then have IPT pick him up from there.

If you're curious about the cost check out this (continental pet cargo(http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...rocedures.aspx) for what they require and give them a call about cost.

went to school at george mason university...hoopy, finallly i find someone from my town i went to school

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast