Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One week recce!!

Default One week recce!!

Getting really excited now - fly to Auckland on Friday with a day trip to Wellington on the following Wednesday. Not an extensive recce I know - but gives us the chance (without children!) to see what we really think about living close to a city again. Husband has a few agencies lined up, and we will be having a look around the areas that we have on the list. It's such a short visit - but it's our first - so it's insurance really so that when we arrive later this year it's not as much if a shock!!

Has anyone else done this? And does anyone have any advice of what to do/see? I was hoping not to have to hire a car and try to rely on buses around the city - but I know we probably will for a couple of days.

Sarah

Soooooo excited

The bus cover in Auckland is NOT comprehensive. Unless you know for certain what areas you are considering, those and no others, and they are on bus routes, you are likely to miss out without a car. Get a car and a sat nav (can be hired as well).

What are you wanting to look at? - leisure possibilities, or places to live? Tell us your priorities for the time, and I'm sure people will wade in.

Thanks jandm
    I think we have just about sorted out what we are going to do - mon/tues - sort out bank, talk to agencies, see what we can see and do by foot and public transport, wed flight there and back to Wellington - then thurs/fri we will now hire a car and spend time in as much of Auckland as we can fit in. I know we are not going to be able to make definate decisions on where we would like to live from thus trip - but we hope we will at least get a better feel for nz!! And confirm that it's definitely for us!!

Hope you'll have clear weather for the flight - it's beautiful from the air.

So on those last two days with the car, are you wanting to see scenic stuff, or go and do activities, or what? (Wish I was about to have two clear days in Auckland...)

Omega was good to hire car from nr AKL airport, small clean car and no probs.
    See sky tower whilst you are there, also mission bay was beautiful.
    Enjoy..my friends live in Glen Eden, seems like nice area.

If you have time to sneak in any sightseeing - take the drive out west through Titirangi and have a walk on Piha Beach. (about 45 mins from Auckland). It will leave you with no doubt :-)

It would be great to go a little further afield from Auckland - I hope we can. Really we plan to have a look at housing, amenities, - what's in an area - where the schools are - the "feel" of different areas. How long dies it take to get around? How close to a beach can we be (for my daughter especially!) it's not for any absolute decisions - but at least will give us a general idea about the place. I suppose we are tryi g to get a frame if reference - what can we compare it too - how can we sell it to the children - not that they need any selling - but maybe we have raised expectations too high? Might need a reality check!

The North Shore (start with Takapuna) is worth a look too - good schools, close to lots of kid-friendly beaches, good amenities etc. Less than 20 mins from Auckland (off peak that is - MUCH longer in peak hour!). A good choice for families, especially if you're not working in the city.

More suburban than West Auckland though - so depends on what you're looking for.

Amy.

Thanks - I think that's what we are really trying to check out- you cam look on google earth etc but would be nice to be on the ground to see how we feel. It will be a real change to 'city' life! I'm definately going to try to make a point of visiting piha beach - it's one of the beaches on kiwi cam that I look at - regularly! Thanks!

we did a week recce to Wellington 3 years ago, if agencies like you you may find yourself in an interview situation so be prepared to flip plans, We now live in Auckland but orginally come from rural Cornwall city life was not a bad shock as I thought, I live in torbay at the far end of the North shore but love the access to open countryside, beaches etc on my doorstep but a city/amenities close to hand. TBH other than work I do not go into the city as we have everything we need on the shore
    enjoy your week, pm me if you want to know more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast