Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Financial Cost of Moving to NZ

Default Financial Cost of Moving to NZ

OK, just done some very scary sums, anyone want a Grand total on what we have spent getting ourselves here?? :eek

Well it came to £10,500 for the two of us and the dog

Breakdown:-

EOI £117
    Medicals £370
    Application Fee £520
    Visa Fee (migrant levy) £230
    Container 20ft (inc insurance) £3900
    Dog £1600
    Flights (one economy one business) £2100

The remaining nearly £2000 was costs of selling the house and cars, sprucing up the house for sale, buying new (big) suitcases, redirecting the mail for a year and opening up a PO box here.

Not a cheap experience, but hopefully it will be quality one!

I guesstimated a similar figure and got a shock too.

My hubby was offered $3000 re-location fee, and when I questioned us getting more, due to the overall cost, I was told it was hard to believe it would cost that much and maybe shop around.

Scary

Those figures look about what we've paid out too :eek

Jubjub - I see you added selling your car in the UK but did you include the cost of buying one over here? another expense to add ...

Although I would add the bond amount if you are going to rent (I know its refundable but you still have to stump it up, up front) and the connection charges for electricty phone / internet. They were surprising costy.

One the upside car insurance is cheap. When we were arranging ours (with the AA who we have now been told are one of the more deer options) we asked if $300 odd was a month, the bloke fell of his chair laughing and told us no it was for a year :cool

With cars I just included the advertising costs for them, the money we got for them virtually paid for our cars over here, so that was fine. So that amount got us here.

Yup, stuff to add in for costs here, $150 to electric co as bond if you are renting and 3 weeks rent for bond. You get the bond back from leccy as a credit on your final bill when you move into your own home. And of course you get the bond back for rental (if you have not been a hooligan and trashed the place ) other thing we have had to do cos we had a dog, is get the carpets cleaned, this will be about $150 (the co we are using charge $20 per room for an empty prop +GST)

I suppose if you were to look at it further, we could include our intial set up costs here,

2 new sim cards $70
    New crockery, couple of saucepans, quilts, hoover, heaters $500
    Survey costs for new house (we had two) $1100
    Sol fees $1500

Theres another $3200

Plus $500 a month to hire bare minimum of furniture./white goods till container gets here

I am sure I have forgotten things! Hubby came over with about $600 cash that went somewhere.....

Default Money

Code:
    Hubby came over with about $600 cash that went somewhere.....
    Hey, Pizza and beer ain't free

i am estimating approx £15k

this includes flights, redemption fee, solicitor fee and estate agent fee, etc etc

Scary is it!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't like adding it up.

I think we've come to about the round figure of £15000 too. I'll let you know for sure once we've actually got there.

Debs

But I bet none of you begrudge a penny of it? It's your future you are investing in.

Can't wait till the the time comes for us to tot up the cost of getting out there :P

You are right Marcia, we dont begrudge a penny of it. but thought it would be useful for other folks to see so they can be prepared and save up a bit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast