Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volcano travel disruption - May 2011

Default Volcano travel disruption - May 2011

Can anyone provide advice on travel if they were caught up in the volcano disruption last year?

We're due to fly from CHCH to Heathrow then onwards to Dublin arriving Fri morning (27th May). EU law seems relatively straighforward if you're travelling into or out of EU space on EU carrier but we're travelling with Singapore airlines and I'm not sure if they are covered by a similiar travel rights law.

If I recall correctly at Christmas with the weather disruptions some airlines this side of the pond only took people to their connecting flight and said it wasn't their fault the travel couldn't be completed, although not sure if that's accurate.

Yeah, we're holding our breath on this one too. We should be leaving Aberdeen on Friday evening to head to Wellington. Fingers crossed flights are going...

It's reasonably ok at the moment (some Scottish flights cancelled). Let's hope it gets no worse.

Was almost exactly a year ago that there was the last lot of disruption. I remember that I was panicing about the flights, but then got very lucky and was able to fly in one of the 2 days in the middle of the chaos when there was a gap in the ash.

am hoping to squeeze in but not looking good - most scottish airports closed now and ireland typically follows scotlands lead - the airlines are still doing a wait and see which is alright for them but a lot can change during the 12 hr flight to singapore and dont want to get stranded there - fingers and everything else crossed.

We fly in just under two weeks and have no travel insurance, can anyone recommend who we could use and what are the chances of getting cover re the ash cloud at this late stage please??
    I think the big man upstairs wants us to stay put!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    We fly in just under two weeks and have no travel insurance, can anyone recommend who we could use and what are the chances of getting cover re the ash cloud at this late stage please??
    According to a quote on the BBC web site, you should be covered:

Frances Tuke, from travel industry body Abta, urged passengers to contact their airlines, which he said had legal obligations to their customers.

He said passengers could have a claim under European "denied boarding" regulations.

These state that if a flight is cancelled or delayed for more than five hours, passengers are entitled to be either re-routed, given a replacement flight, or a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    According to a quote on the BBC web site, you should be covered:
    even if you have no insurance at all??

That quote is talking about what airlines' obligations are under the law in certain circumstances, therefore, nothing to do with insurance at all.

A large number of hubby's family are meant to be heading over this Friday, for a cousin's wedding... I really hope they make it as it's the first time most of them have been overseas!!!

Frodo - what do you want? As in are you looking for insurance to compensate for hte late flight, provide hotels etc in teh Uk as you'll be homeless by then. Or are you just wanting to be able to fly as soon as you can? If the latter then the airlline will jsut rebook you on the earliest available flight, you don't need insurance. If the former then sorry, you're out of luck now. But you really ought to get travel insurance anyway. It's not that much and means that should you need medical assistance during your stopover, or even worse need the plane to divert to get you critical care you're covered. For less than UKP100 then I wouldn't be without it. The cover for baggage / delays, etc I largely ignore, but its the medical bit that is vital IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast