Thread: Fastest way to residency?

Default Fastest way to residency?

Hi all,
    I intend to apply for residency but need a job offer to get the required number of points. It seems the easiest way to go would be WTR but, and I may be wrong here, it seems you have to work for the full two years the visa runs for before you can apply for residency.

I want to be fully into the system sooner than two years, so was thinking I could get a work visa, start working in NZ and then apply for PR, which should be much faster, right?

Any advice or indications of timelines, or better ideas?

All feedback will be much appreciated.

There might not be any short cut as such, have you considered to make a recce and try for jobs (apply for Work Visa when here) and apply for PR. That's the only way I'd see to cut down on timeline. Hope that helps.!

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by doc44 View Post
    It seems the easiest way to go would be WTR but, and I may be wrong here, it seems you have to work for the full two years the visa runs for before you can apply for residency.
    If you get WTR Talent visa (30 months) through an accredited employer, then yes you must work for that company for 2 years before you can apply for PR (or transfer to another accredited employer). However I believe you can bypass the 2 years if you have the require number of points (I think other members have done it this way in the past).

Good luck

Thanks for your replies.

Sun777, I have considered the option you suggested and it may well be the best way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    However I believe you can bypass the 2 years if you have the require number of points (I think other members have done it this way in the past).
    So, please correct me if I`m wrong, but once I have a WTR visa and start work in NZ then I will be able to claim more points for job offer/ work which would take me up to the 140 points region. In this case would it be possible to apply for PR after just a few months of having the WTR visa?

Has anyone done this recently?

ZombieDraxx Guest

Hey doc44,

Trolling around these forums I've read a few cases where people applied for their work visa and their PR visa at the same time with a job offer and received the work visa while their PR visa was being processed and was approved 3 months after the work visa approval.

It's possible but just be prepared for employers that won't even look at you until you're on NZ soil unless you have a qualification and skills that are in dire need.