Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Reccys - do they work?

Default Job Reccys - do they work?

Hi All,

Ok then, so I'm well underway with flinging applications and CV's off to all and sundry this week with the hope of snagging that elusive 'job offer from abroad', but I think I'm also understanding that until I can give someone a date when we'll be there, or I can actually be on the ground it's going to be difficult (not impossible).

Now, that's difficult, as before we get a job offer, we can;t move as we can't get work permits - covered many times I'm sure.

Question is - in the forums vast experience, has it been worth while booking a trip over purely with the purpose of attending interviews/meetings with agencies/recruiters/potential employers even if you're then returning to whence you came, before the final move? I.e. if say you were to tell employers you were avialable on the ground for an interview between x an x, are they more likely to entertain you as a serious prospect, than if you're lookign for that Skype interview? Or are they still not going to take you seriously, as you've not actually 'made the move' yet? I do know of one case where this has worked, but what about the rest of you - any experiences/advice?

I ask, as we're considering sending me over either for a week in the next month or two, or for a few weeks in say August with the task of securing a job offer so we can get our EOI selected and get on with PR application. I'm thinking if I target accredited employers, then I could probably get a temp visa, or WTR visa sorted quicker and continue with the PR in the background?

It then means the famille can come over and we can 'survive' short term whilst OH visits schools etc looking for work for herself.

Phew.

Having been to NZ certainly helped. And certianly raises my view of CVs. Shows a comitment to NZ as opposed to the scatter gun apporach (aus, US, Canada, UK) etc.

Hi Duncan - We have been to NZ for a reccy last year which helped us to decide to press on with the move, I'm talking about a seperate reccy now, just for me to come for interviews - or is this what you meant?

We've made some commitment in terms of spend with the EOI, NZQA assessments and NZTC registrations, selling our house etc. But they don't mean a lot necessarily to employers I guess.

Are you meaning living in NZ whilst applying raises your view, or coming to NZ for interview raises your view? I am only applying to NZ as well - no other countries.

The recce is fine. It's the number of applications, especially from the UK, where people are struggling over there and applying for anything, wherever in the world. A previous visit to NZ raises the chances that people are here for the long haul.
    Depending on teh field then being here in person may help. seems from the forum that's the case for IT. However for us (engineering) then we're used to hiring via phone/ skype interviews. And even do interviews in the UK (not sure about elsewhere).

The self funded / progressed Visa application does count a lot.

Sorry, perhaps my 'flinging applications and CV's off to all and sundry' comment was exaggerated - I should have said 'sending applications and CV's to a carefully selected group of companies', it's just I sent 4 or 5 applications off yesterday and it felt like a few.

So, is it worth making definite comment on say a cover letter on our current position - i.e. that we've made monetary commitment to coming over, and that we've been there already to assess the place?
    CV does make reference to it, but is it worth making a bigger point of it then?

It worked for us. We contacted recruitment agency's which set up interviews after we had booked our flights. My wife was able to secure a position on our trip, and we made the move three months later.

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    It worked for us. We contacted recruitment agency's which set up interviews after we had booked our flights. My wife was able to secure a position on our trip, and we made the move three months later.
    Cheers Eassae, did you have a visa sorted before your trip can I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by gorstsmit View Post
    Cheers Eassae, did you have a visa sorted before your trip can I ask?
    We had lodged our application, but it had not been completed. When we arrived in NZ permanently we still didn't have our visa as there was a hiccup with my medical, but since OH had a job she was able to get a temporary work permit for one year while we completed our PR application.

Thanks, that's interesting.

we did the same as eassee, I did not secure a role on the recce but the agencies found me something within 2 months and we flew out 8 weeks later, we like eassee had medical issues so a temp wtr was turned around in a week in the UK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast