Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 165k good enought to live above average?

Default Is 165k good enought to live above average?

Is 165k make the cut to live above average. If so where to settle
    2 no children arriving aug 2011. Offered director position in auckland

Depends what you mean by "above average".

For me and mine, $165k is a massive amount of money but that said we have quite simple tastes.

You'd be better off making yourself a list of the features you want in your lifestyle and pricing up the various bits and pieces.

Can't help you area wise as we are just as new as you... we just plan to rent somewhere central for 6 months and explore.

Above average for me is renting +1000week, 4 bed house close to beach Max 30 min from cbd + utilites and still having 60% to spend, not havingto worry about car, because isgiven. If so, Where to settle?

St Helliers, Mission Bay area probably a good start......... good luck

Using a minor amout of logic, then you should probably be able to work out that a director is unlikely to be under the median wage. Equally a cursary glance at any rental website should show that the sort of property listed at $1000 per week are unlikely to be 'average'. Some minor investment of time in an excel spreadsheet or use of a calculator ought to tell you the %age disposable income.

You'd definately be best making sure you stay in Auckand though, not sure how well you'll fit in outside of Jafa-ville ;-)

Of, and in summary, you'll be doing something wrong if you're not comfortable in a kiwi lifestyle at that outside of Auckland. No idea about in Auckland though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_thor View Post
    Is 165k make the cut to live above average. If so where to settle
    2 no children arriving aug 2011. Offered director position in auckland
    I assume that directors have their assistants...

Check Statistics New Zealand who provide lots of useful information! E.g. http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_...-releases.aspx

*sigh* and i think i live a good life on my "below avarage" wage

Quote Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
    *sigh* and i think i live a good life on my "below avarage" wage
    We (couple with no kids) make well below half of that wage and I think we are living like kings!!

Granted we are not in Auckland, but I do not think we would need well over double our current pay to make it there.

$165k per year would be "rich" in our lifestyle.

Someone mentioned a weekly rent rate of $1k which works out to $52k a year leaving you with about $68k in pay after taxes are taken out. That is about $2600 a fortnight to live off of with that extremely high rent rate already taken into account.

Personally, I see no reason a couple with no children could live extremely comfortably on that.
    Last edited by TJH; 29th May 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Using a minor amout of logic, then you should probably be able to work out that a director is unlikely to be under the median wage. Equally a cursary glance at any rental website should show that the sort of property listed at $1000 per week are unlikely to be 'average'. Some minor investment of time in an excel spreadsheet or use of a calculator ought to tell you the %age disposable income.
    Duncan, that's the third thread of this poster's I've clicked on this afternoon to find responses from you that are at best dismissive and at worst rude. C'mon, you're the ambassador for Yorkshire- cut the newbie some slack!

OP: $165 is a decent wage, but this thread makes it sound like you'd be rolling in it- you might be in Te Awamutu etc but in the sort of suburbs you're aspiring to in Auckland I suspect you'll be comfortable and able to enjoy a decent standard of living but not rolling in it. Unless you have enough equity to not need to pay rent/mortgage.

And this was the 8th thread in a row started by this poster I clicked on this morning that implied minimal/no effort on their part.
    Cutting slack, yes, but I have no obligation to be helpful / unhelpful in any way, and I really don't feel inspired to be helpful to people posting separate threads that demonstrate that to me just seemed to be intended to express how rich they were going to be.
    If that wasn't the case, then consider that my posts have been useful in highlighting that on arrival, care would be needed so as they don't come accross as a 'loadsamoney' immigrant and therefore find it difficult to settle at work / outside work in NZ.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast