Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best bank to oen an account

Default Which is the best bank to oen an account

Loking fr best reputatin banks to open an account with.
    Any thoughts

I don't know about best reputation but we opened a bank account with Westpac on line and then picked up cards etc on our last reccie trip. They were very helpful and our friends who live in NZ recommended them.

Kiwibank personally.

We're both with National. We opened them fully online before we came and collected our cards on the first day we were in NZ. At the time then I think National were the only one that didn't need anything faxing / posting to open, but I believe that others are now online too.
    They have a branch near work (as do all the other banks too, apart from HSBC), and I've had no real issues, other than it seeming immensely complicated to set up 2 personal accounts, a joint everyday account and a joint savings account without incurring monthly fees. But we got there in the end.

Others I know are with National, Westpac, Kiwibank and ASB. No-one jumps up and down and proclaims their love of any, nor do I know of anyone at war with the bank. If you know where your office is then chose one with a branch nearby, other than that, open anyone in advance, get here, give it a month and if you want, then swap it's easy enough.

Talking

I like ASB because they are on twitter, facebook and their internet banking is top notch and easy to use

All the big high street banks over here are strong ratings-wise - other than Kiwibank but that is owned by the Government so won't go bust.

So you needn't worry too much! And, when you get here, you can always change once you have settled down if there is one more convenient for you.

I'm with Westpac and think that they are great - not only is the personal service friendly but there is a nearby branch with a soundproof kids play area that provides a full banking service at weekends (it is great not having to take time off work to negotiate mortgage interest rates with them)!

I like Westpac and they have been good & supportive so far with all my finances (salary, loans, money transfers etc) under one roof

We opened an account with BNZ before moving to NZ from the UK. We have received excellent service from them and have subsequently taken our mortage out with them as well.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We opened an account with Westpac before moving and didn't need to fax anything in advance. They have been fine. Their online banking interface is a bit basic but it does the job (and apparently being upgraded soon). I was going to join ASB but they wanted me to send forms in advance and we didn't have the time. My experience with Kiwibank customer service has been pretty good so I may be interested in moving to them, espeacially when we get a mortgage.

Heard very bad things about ANZ service levels. They now own National and I believe will try to push out the National brand soon. National customers not too happy as they have a good reputation and I understand some are voting with their feet.

We are dealing with BNZ.. they have been fantastic. We've opened an account and are beginning to transfer money into it. OH goes July 1st to activate the account. We were also pre-approved for a mortgage with them and have received excellent service... several personal phone calls to us (in Canada).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast