Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice you wish you'd been given (Property Rentals)

Default Advice you wish you'd been given (Property Rentals)

Hello lovely forum folks

After a lot of googling, using the search bar and generally over rationalising - i seek your wisdom....

The original plan was to move out to to fair NZ in 18 month (from Jan 2011)... it all sped up a bit, job offers came and what not and now that date has moved up to August 2011...

I have crawled realestate.co.nz and trademe to exhaustion but can't seem to get straight what to do with the first 6 months in Auckland accommodation wise. We aim to buy eventually but we know from experience in the UK that we would be better off finding out feet in a rental first and exploring the area.

So we need to pick that first rental place ....

We aren't massively well off but can do up to $400 a week in rent... but I am getting kind of stuck when it comes to judging properties - the criteria I would have used in the UK seem to not be that relevant.

So to get to the point (phew, I hear you say)....

Excluding school zones and transport links (first isn't needed and second I kind of already understood)...

What are the things you wish you had looked for in a rental before you first signed on the dotted line? What are the give away signs of a dodgy deal in NZ?

Any replies welcomed

If a property hangs around on the rental market for more than a few weeks there is a reason.

Don't rent a villa on a hillside on stilts in a windy area.

Landlords are not as professional as they are in the UK and won't necessarily know or follow the law.

NORTH facing. Check inside of curtains for mould. NORTH facing. If the heating is by heat pump actually find out about the model- is it big enough for the house? NORTH facing. If somewhere has DVS/HRV this is a bonus but ask about insulation. Make sure you understand the tenancy- you can find it very difficult to get out of if it's fixed term! NORTH facing.

Be prepared to be treated like absolute dirt by letting agents in the main

Did I mention NORTH facing?

View on a non-sunny day, if possible. Watch out for smells of chill and damp, and/or dehumidifiers standing around, and people not keeping their things in the built-in cupboards/wardrobes.

Quote Originally Posted by aziramai View Post
    What are the things you wish you had looked for in a rental before you first signed on the dotted line?
    Most topics are the same if buying or renting only very few are diffeent there.

For me it was important to know the decision maker on the tenancy whilst dwelling if different from the person showing it.

Also the fluctuation of the place and reasons for leaving. Getting names of former tennants might be difficult but is advantageous.

In general, get to know the tenancy law here in NZ as they will probably differ from the ones you know.

Thanks everyone...

definitely feeling a couple of themes coming on here

@kanga so you hinted at North facing? is that a good thing or a think to avoid?

It's a GOOD thing, as the sun swings round the sky to the north in the southern hemisphere, so north-facing rooms warm up.

This info on NZ tenancy law may help. http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenants-index

Quote Originally Posted by aziramai View Post
    North facing? is that a good thing or a think to avoid?
    As JandM pointed out, that is positive!

In the past there were people who did design their houses the wrong way and built them accordingly

Hehe, I would have been one of those people no doubt

Think I may see if i can get a cheap air moisture meter before I fly. Hubby is asthmatic and really struggles with damp and mould spores.

Wink

By all means bring your moisture meter, but most importantly bring a compass. Make sure your house is on the northern side of any hill, with the living area facing north and you cant go wrong.
    In Auckland most days in the winter you will not need heating during the day.

Gran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast