Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paroa/Greymouth Queen's B'Day Weekend

Cool Paroa/Greymouth Queen's B'Day Weekend

Hi folks,

I'm heading over to Paroa on the west coast this weekend with a group of friends from Friday-Monday.

Anything worth checking out around the area or anything on this weekend that will be worth doing?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Twunky View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm heading over to Paroa on the west coast this weekend with a group of friends from Friday-Monday.

Anything worth checking out around the area or anything on this weekend that will be worth doing?

Cheers!
    I personally think that there is not very much close by. The first time I was there it was all new - of course - and thus worth having a look at. With each further visit there it became less interesting. There are some nice walks/tracks through rain forest very close to the town 'centre' though.

Ah yes, Paroa's CBD

We'll be heading in to Greymouth for a night on a pub crawl so any recommendations welcome

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We liked the Monteith's brewery tour. I think it's cheap ($10 each or something?) and at the end of the tour (Which isn't very long as it isn't a big brewery!) you basically get to "help yourself" at the bar Shame hubby couldn't make the most of it as we were driving on to Hokitika afterwards! They also do some specials that included a taxi and dinner in the town ($30 according to the website).

Ah yes, Paroa's CBD
    Actually I was referring to Greymouth. Have a look here http://www.greydistrict.co.nz/greymouth/walks.asp We did the Omotumotu Bush Walk, starting from Marsden Road; very good.

We'll be heading in to Greymouth for a night on a pub crawl so any recommendations welcome
    We were once in a pub or the like at the round about, I think in Mackay Street; quite decent.
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 31st May 2011 at 06:10 PM.

http://www.shantytown.co.nz/ or
    http://www.punakaiki.co.nz/

Just a couple of the things we did when we stayed in Greymouth

Perhaps you should tell us our far/long you would travel...

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Perhaps you should tell us our far/long you would travel...
    Anything within a 100km radius of Paroa

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Have suggested the brewery tour and will keep an eye out for the pub in Mackay Street - according to a quick search it's Steamers Carvery & Bar. The Omotumotu Bush Walk looks good too - cheers everyone!

Was in Punakaiki a few months ago and did the touristy stuff with a mate over on holiday when we were at the Wild Food Festival.

From Punakaiki northwards is Charleston where there is a historical gold mine; http://mitchellsgullygoldmine.8m.com/

Reefton of course, check the town's website; perhaps with a trip to Oceana, contemporary gold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    We liked the Monteith's brewery tour. I think it's cheap ($10 each or something?) and at the end of the tour (Which isn't very long as it isn't a big brewery!) you basically get to "help yourself" at the bar Shame hubby couldn't make the most of it as we were driving on to Hokitika afterwards! They also do some specials that included a taxi and dinner in the town ($30 according to the website).
    Had a great weekend everyone so thanks for the input.

Just wanted to comment on this as the brewery is closed - production has moved to Timaru - west coast beer eh? So the tour is fairly naff as there's nothing being brewed there although the tasting at the end is fun.

FYI, Guinness production has moved to Timaru now too with CD in CHch closed so I guess Timaru is now the beer production powerhouse of the south island!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast