Thread: 1 week recce diary

Default 1 week recce diary

First impressions on recce

Firstly I would like to state the obvious - it's a long long way. I knew that the flight would be long - but after the first leg to hong kong I'd had enough - nz definitely a no go! *But the second leg was better - not sure why - maybe just got used to it. *So arrived in Auckland early on Sunday morning (started travelling from Grantham on Friday am!). It's a bit daunting having to go through the scanners as you enter a country rather than leave - but everyone at the airport was really friendly - heathrow it wasn't. *Dropped bags off at hotel and hit the streets of Auckland. *Couldn't believe how warm and sunny it was. *The sun is much higher in the sky and hence much warmer than in the uk at same point in winter. *Did bring coats and need them first thing in morning and if it rains but mostly too hot. *Monday hubby had agency interviews - so I sorted out bank account and had a wander. *I quite like Auckland but not sure that I would want to live in the city. *It's not very busy - even if compared to a similar sized city in the uk the traffic is very light. *We did watch the traffic over the harbour bridge each morning - it starts really early and seems quite heavy but keeps moving. *On tues we took a bus to takapuna had a wander and then a further bus to devonport and the ferry back to Auckland. *Loved the beach - definitely felt this was a place to live. *Had worried before this that takapuna would be too big - but didn't feel that way. *We did go to the Westfield shopping centre - Lego sets hugely expensive - some nice shops. Probably the most children we had seen since arriving - so definitely child friendly. *Had a lovely lunch in devonport - service in nz (so far) is way above anything in the uk. *Looking forward to day in Wellington tomorrow.

*I quite like Auckland but not sure that I would want to live in the city.
    Don't forget, Auckland isn't just the CBD - those other places you mention are Auckland, too, along with a big variety of others. If job availability takes you there in the end, there's probably a comfortable niche for you.

Have to ask, what are all the asterisks for? Was it a bulleted list that got reformatted in the post?

I always enjoy people's first reactions and observations so keep up the good work and enjoy your stay.

Hiya Catchers! Hope the recce goes well. We moved to Northland from osrt of near Grantham in January this year! And yes, Devonport is fab.

The flight is utter poo, but it's only 1 day in your life. I always try to sleep as much as possible. Have fun!

Sorry about the * not sure if that was tired fingers or some weird nz gremlin! Will get back with welly update and possibly more Auckland - soon. We are planning a trip to the eastern bits of Auckland - mission bay round to bucklands. Looking forward to seeing differences to the north.

Looking forward to the next instalment ))