Thread: Are rental prices in trade-me the real rental prices?

Default Are rental prices in trade-me the real rental prices?

Hi,
    I understand trade me is more like an eBay, where people bid and the price can go much higher than the original posted one.

Is that true also for rental prices?

Or can I assume the price listed is indeed the price asked?

Trying to get an idea of what we will face when we get there and looking for a house...

Thanks!

Classified things like property (to buy and rent) and cars are the 'asking price' and you should expect to negotiate a price downwards. Some car sales are auctions, so just check which section you're looking in.

We rented two different houses off trade-me. Both times the price was slightly negotiable, not much.

I think we got the rent down a little by signing a longer lease. In the other case, we ended up paying a little more because we wanted to rent all the appliances (many rentals come with no refrigerator and no washer/dryer).

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have been looking at rentals through certain estate agents and trade me and the quality/range appears better on trade me. Is that just a illusion?

I believe it depends on the quality of the rental. A warm, desirable home will likely go for what has been asked. I know that after we walked through cold horror after cold horror we were quick to offer full asking price when we finally found a home that met our needs. Had we not done so, there were others waiting in the wings with money in hand.