Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Haggling.........

Default Shipping Haggling.........

Hi there,

again looking to call upon others' experiences........

We have had a few quotes now on our shipment costs, they range from £2.4k to £2.7k. So how much can I realistically haggle down through playing them off of one another. What have other people been able to get off of their original quotes.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

That sounds good! What are you getting for the price?
    Ours cost 3400 for full pack and unload other end to Tauranga.

We had 4 quotes and they all indicated they will haggle a bit.
    Quotes are from between 3250 and 3850 for 20ft door to door to Auckland.
    Crown, the most expensive offered to come down but said they could not match the lowest price as they would make a loss on the deal.
    Simon

Just make sure you check what's covered in all the quotes, especially in relation to customs clearance charges. Not sure about all cases, but Crown were 'all inclusive' and that meant about $1k of their quote was for MAF/ Customs. The others both had that as a mandatory additional charge we would get.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Just make sure you check what's covered in all the quotes, especially in relation to customs clearance charges. Not sure about all cases, but Crown were 'all inclusive' and that meant about $1k of their quote was for MAF/ Customs. The others both had that as a mandatory additional charge we would get.
    Definitely check what's included as Duncan said, but in our case the extra buffer in the Crown quote actually put us off using them as it seemed higher than the actual cost of MAF/customs. Worked well for us as we had our container delivered yesterday and only paid about $350 for customs and MAF inspection of 7 boxes, so way less than Crown would have charged us for it.

The removal company I am talking to have said that their containers don't generally get pulled for inspection. They have been superpicky about baskets, candles, garden stuff etc. Are they winding me up?

Even if they don't get fully inspected there is a customs clearance charge.

Candles are a definite no no (bees wax), and any garden stuff needs to be well scrubbed with Jeyes and be totally free of insects and seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by hunty1980 View Post
    We have had a few quotes now on our shipment costs, they range from £2.4k to £2.7k.
    I'd be really interested to know who these quotes are from, as they are much cheaper than what I've been quoted in the past week!

My 2 cheapest quotes are:
    £3K - Ewe pack - them supplying packing materials, me actually doing the packing, them loading etc
    £3300 - Brittannia - same as above

I really want someone to pack it for me but have been quoted £3700-4000 for that (all quotes based on 20ft).

How on earth are your quotes so low?! Please tell!

Interesting stuff, I've got Crown, PSS and anglo-pacific coming in a couple of weeks to quote.

Re bikes, garden stuff etc - I understand the need to scrub to clean them of dirt, seeds etc - but how do they stand on bits of rust - will they be rejected if they don't look like new does anyone know?

Our quotes are based on sharing a 20ft container, we only live in a two bedroomed flat, so we don't need to use a whole container for ourselves. It may take a little longer to ship, but sharing a container will certainly be cheaper.

They are from Pickfords, PSS and Anglo-Pacific. That's them packing, shipping and delivering the other end etc.

I guess we have the luxury of being able to stay with family whilst we wait for our things to arrive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast