Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2pm today -1 year here

Default 2pm today -1 year here

Its hard to believe we touched down on these magnificent shores one year ago today, on a bright sunny afternoon we were whisked away by a corporate driver to a complimentary rental in Botany.

How far we have come since then. but to condense it all, there have been not many surprises or dramas. Everything much as expected... great climate, lovely friendly locals, cost of living on par/slightly higher with what we spent in the UK, a more outdoorsy way of life in scenic surrounds.

We are still in the same jobs as when we started and are both doing well. Matt is probably over qualified with his job, (which doesn't go down too well with his colleagues at times!) and is looking to change jobs soon.My job is good and has a significant social aspect, with lots of BBQs/meals out. we even went to Gt Barrier Island for Easter with one of my colleagues, and stayed in their place there.

We have travelled so much in the last year and have seen so many different cities in both islands, and of course this is still so much to see, but we still love coming back to Auckland, and are glad we made this our home...
    In fact we have just made it our permanent home. we have bought a house in the gorgeous Cockle Bay, and are loving living in our own place at last. It was good to take a rental for a year to look around the different areas and types of houses to make a good informed choice as to what we wanted and didnt want in a house

Probably the biggest difference for us, is the size of the houses and gardens- they are so spacious compared to England, and the neighbourhood/community feel. Within days of moving in we had met lots of neighbours, some calling round to introduce themselves, and been invited round to next door, for a beer or 2 last Sunday. I (jax) have been roped into join some of the girls who all go to Zumba together! its great!
    Houses here are also much colder in winter. but with curtains, and extra door, and roof insulation- were are cosy az! (we couldn't change much in the rented house-), and we're looking into some double glazing too.

So all in all, we are enjoying life down under and feel it was the best move made. Matt had been wanting to emigrate for a while, but I was reluctant at first to leave my family. but with Skype and their annual visits, its working out really well. i wish we had made the move sooner, and can't envisage ever going back- even for a holiday- there's so much to explore this side of the world now
    Jax

Great update -glad things have worked out well

Sounds like you've managed to do a lot more exploring than I've managed in the year! We've really not done much, although were thinking about something in August time.
    Sounds good so far, keep at it.

Congratulations!

Congrats

You seem to be so happy. Such a lovely post. Here is to another fab year for you guys and many to come!!

Great post...it sounds like you are really settling in well.

Good to hear you have settled well Jax, Congrats!!

Sounds great. I also think it is a good idea to wait a while before buying your first home in NZ. One needs the time to fully research things and areas. I have been here over 7 months and am still discovering lots of things about NZ building codes, double glazing, locals schools, etc.

Wow, I remember reading your posts with interest last year as we were just in the first stages of looking to move, and now we've also been here for 8 months! Good on you both!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast