Thread: Missing......

Default Missing......

Insulation, double glazing, central heating....why did I not bring you with me..

Its a lovely day outside and my home is about 10 degrees cooler then outside

Heres something you never say in the UK..."open the windows...let some heat in!"

Now you know the true meaning of indoor/outdoor flow

Why do you think everyone is always running, cycling, or out playing rugby? To keep warm and have showers somewhere that doesn't mean a 3 hour process of venting, scrubbing and wiping to stop the mould

Oh yes, is so true. I was lovely and warm when I got back from my run last night

now sitting here at home studying with the windows wide open and hoping for sun today to warm the house up ...

I missed swim squad last night as it's an open air pool with a tent over it in Winter. However a tree came down early in the week and put a hole in the roof. Tuesday's session was crazy as all the warm air had leaked and it was swimming in an open air pool at 8 degrees on a night time. Now mended, but boy it was chilly and I fear that parts of my anatomy have gone into hibernation and may not return until spring.

Quote Originally Posted by oldjonah View Post
    Insulation, double glazing, central heating....why did I not bring you with me..

Its a lovely day outside and my home is about 10 degrees cooler then outside

Heres something you never say in the UK..."open the windows...let some heat in!"
    I am always quite mystified when I see things like this because our house is always way warmer inside than out and has been for the last three an' a half years since we landed here. We have no double glazing (didn't bother with it in the UK either), no central heating and just whatever insulation is in the walls and loft (if any)... we do have a free standing dehumidifier and a wood burner though (for when them Southerlies come in).

Cheers
    G

It all just depends on your house, we've just bought a house and compared to the place we were renting its just wonderful. We were in a small 2 bedroom weatherboard back flat which was awful, cold, damp and just altogether unpleasant. There was mould growing on the curtains and window frames. However by comparison our new place is amazing, red brick, aluminium windows (not double glazed), gets full sun during the day and on sunny days we don't need any heating. Heat pump AND log burner. Plus insulation in the roof, the difference is astonishing. It really depends on the house, this place is probably as warm as my parents double glazed, centrally heated house back in the UK!!