Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scam - Phone Call from 'Windows Technical Support'

Just tell them you have an Apple and don't run windows. They get really confused then.

A friend of mine who works in very technical computers started asking them all sorts of technical questions, they kept up for a little bit then clearly got lost. Then he started on the made up questions. Eventually they hung up.

Tell them you don't know what they're talking about, because you don't have a computer. That stumps them, and it works for us every time.

I can't remember exactly how we registered our address/phone call to say we don't want cold calls/junk mail but it must have been here.
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/t...hat-can-you-do

We did this in the UK too. It must work as we never get unsolicited phone calls or junk mail.
    We have a sign on the post box too saying no junk mail.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    I can't remember exactly how we registered our address/phone call to say we don't want cold calls/junk mail but it must have been here.
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/t...hat-can-you-do

We did this in the UK too. It must work as we never get unsolicited phone calls or junk mail.
    We have a sign on the post box too saying no junk mail.
    We think the calls we've had originated in Asia. It's likely they don't even know about legislation within NZ or the UK to protect consumers. It would be interesting to know, though, if anyone else who has registered like you has received these scam calls or, although I think it's unlikely, you are getting some form of protection. Are you also ex-directory?

Yes, we are ex-directory, always have been.

Off on a tangent this next point, but folks from the UK in particular will be surprised to learn that schools here often issue booklets with contact details for pupils. I have one for the entire school complete with addresses and phone numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ENZ View Post
    We think the calls we've had originated in Asia. It's likely they don't even know about legislation within NZ or the UK to protect consumers. It would be interesting to know, though, if anyone else who has registered like you has received these scam calls or, although I think it's unlikely, you are getting some form of protection. Are you also ex-directory?
    We opted out of tele calling and postal and the only calls we get are, you guessed it, the computer scammers. We opted out over 2 years ago and it really works but its not going to stop the scammers incidentaly you have to put every person in your household down on a seperate form as its per name and not per number.

I had put this at beginning of thread but this is a direct link to the form

http://www.marketing.org.nz/maDNC?Action=New

We get them frequently. My daughter had them call her recently and as usual the line was bad and the accent was very strong. When they mentioned windows she said that hers were made of glass and needed cleaning and 'no' she didn;t want new windows. She kept on like this for a while and they gave up and hung up on her

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    We get them frequently. My daughter had them call her recently and as usual the line was bad and the accent was very strong. When they mentioned windows she said that hers were made of glass and needed cleaning and 'no' she didn;t want new windows. She kept on like this for a while and they gave up and hung up on her
    I almost wish we had a land line so I could lie in wait for these people and do this to them!

We only have a Skype phone. Plus three laptops, one PC and six mobile phones. Between three of us. I think we're just greedy...

Thanks for the links - I've added ourselves to the 'do not call/mail' lists. We are still getting the 'Windows' calls though only once in a blue moon...will have to use some of the witty responses noted above, thanks.

You may find this interesting so you are aware of other scams in NZ and indeed anywhere else for that matter.

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/scams

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast