Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scam - Phone Call from 'Windows Technical Support'

Default Scam - Phone Call from 'Windows Technical Support'

I had a call from "Windows Technical Support" this evening 'offering' to help fix my computer as it is apparently going slow due to all the junk files on my pc. The woman who rang was very insistent but I refused to turn on my computer and told her no chance was I doing anything based on an unsolicitated phonecall from a company I didn't know.

It is a scam - this is a link from MS on the topic, script was similar only I didn't turn on my pc and they claimed to be calling from Sydney: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-b6fb8db7c4d2

Most people will be aware its a scam, but thought I'd share just in case!

Was on the TVNZ consumer show (Watchdog equivalent) last night. I'm pretty sure this would get nowhere in many places, but I respectfully suggest that Kiwis are more trusting and so they get more traction with this sort of scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Was on the TVNZ consumer show (Watchdog equivalent) last night.
    Ah, I didn't watch 'whatsitsname' last night, cheers.

We have been receiving these calls for many months and unfortunately there is not much you can do to prevent them as they come from foreign countries,
    To reduce the bonafide companies ringing you can be removed from the telemarketing list but this will not stop these types of calls so i just tell them I am a computer engineer and will they stop pestering me as there is nothing wrong with my computer and put the phone down. This seems to work as they no longer ring back which they always rang back before.
    If you want to reduce telemarketing calls look here
    http://www.marketing.org.nz/maDNC?Action=New

One of my colleagues got such a call a couple of weeks ago. The callers reaction was 'interesting' when my colleague told the caller that on his PC no Windows software at all is installed...

We also get these calls all the time. Like Ralf has mentioned, the caller is left a bit tongue-tied when we inform them that we have a Mac. That was early days though. We just hang up now.

I get these calls so often we just let the phone take a message these days (and the phone is in a closet). I can't get them to stop calling (despite repeated requests).

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    If you want to reduce telemarketing calls look here
    http://www.marketing.org.nz/maDNC?Action=New
    Thanks for the link, will follow this up during the week. Telemarketing wasn't an issue for me back home as we didn't have a landline!

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    One of my colleagues got such a call a couple of weeks ago. The callers reaction was 'interesting' when my colleague told the caller that on his PC no Windows software at all is installed...

lol, I think that's what I'll tell them next time!

We get them at least 3 times a week, Casey has told them he knows they're a scam and they keep trying to talk over him and get really angry.

These days I just hang up. I know of an Aussie in Sydney who has had them too and she tells them to hang on a moment, then she puts the phone down and goes back to what she was doing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast