Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZQA required for degrees 25+ yrs ago - Help!!

Default NZQA required for degrees 25+ yrs ago - Help!!

Received my ITA earlier today and INZ have requested an NZQA assessment of my degrees. These were obtained from the University of Salford during the 80's, a BSc (Hons) in 1980 and an MSc in 1986.

I have the original certificates for both but no transcripts or course syllabus/content details. Degrees from the Uni are recognised post 1996 hence the request for assessment.

What information will NZQA require, especially as the Uni may not hold any records going back that far. Will an original degree certificate on its own suffice?

Very concerned as this will introduce a further delay in the process and add even more to the not insubstantial costs around emmigration that are already mounting up

Quote Originally Posted by skywatcher View Post
    Received my ITA earlier today and INZ have requested an NZQA assessment of my degrees. These were obtained from the University of Salford during the 80's, a BSc (Hons) in 1980 and an MSc in 1986.

I have the original certificates for both but no transcripts or course syllabus/content details. Degrees from the Uni are recognised post 1996 hence the request for assessment.

What information will NZQA require, especially as the Uni may not hold any records going back that far. Will an original degree certificate on its own suffice?

Very concerned as this will introduce a further delay in the process and add even more to the not insubstantial costs around emmigration that are already mounting up

I would like to recommend that read the NZQA website throughly.
    http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/studying-in-...chelor-degree/

In your shoes, I think I would communicate with the Registry of your university, to ask exactly what information they DO have still on record about the courses you took. It may surprise you how much is still kept in the archives.

Will do that JandM. There is a minor problem at the moment in that the Uni are digitising everything in their archive. The exercise was supposed to be finished by mid May but has been delayed a month. I'll try anyway and see if there is any way they can help sooner. They have already sent me a letter advising dates of my attendance at the Uni and final degree awarded but I suspect NZQA will want more.

Yes, NZQA will need more to be able to take a view. As JandM says, then the registry is going to be your friend in this, and it's a department of universities whose whole role is to do this, not jsut the year you graduate, but thereafter. Timing isn't great as they will be working overtime to get this years degrees processed, but you will just need to ask nicely and hope they can do it quickly.

(and thing I learnt today, Salford Uni is that old. Despite living and working in Manchester for 6 years then I had wronly assumed that Salford Uni was created in the 90s from a poly).

Salford Uni's history goes back over 100 years, one of the original "red brick" Uni's from the late Victorian era and has a very proud record of turning out practically minded graduates in the engineering sectors in particular. But I would say that wouldn't I :-)

I contacted the registry today and the main problems are the quality of available data given that some of it is over 30 years old and getting hold of it due to the digitising exercise. We'll see what they have to say. Fingers crossed they can get hold of course content details or prospectus info as a minimum. Worrying all the same given that my future is now in their hands.

Some good news. Following my call to the University's Registration Dept on Monday, when I spoke with a very helpful lady who was sympathetic to my plight but couldn't promise anything, the postman today delivered copies of my degree certificates and transcripts for both my MSc and BSc.

I'm over the moon as I was worried that this had the potential to severely delay my SMC application. I can now get the info off to the people at NZQA and hope that they will be able to turn it around quickly. Think I may also pay for the fast tracking to help speed things along.

My faith in human nature has been restored!! Think I'll get the good lady at Saford Uni a present for her efforts as well. :-)

Very pleased for you. But truly, I'm not surprised. Every time I've ever needed help or information from universities/colleges that I've been part of in the past, they've been there for me 100%. The same goes for archivists in all kinds of institutions when I've needed material for research. After all, it's their job to guard and manage information and the proof of it, and every time someone wants some of that information, it's a validation of their usefulness. Good for them, and good luck to you as you go on with your application.

Just got the results back from NZQA today.

BSc assessed as Level 7
    MSc assessed as Level 9

Really impressed with the speed that NZQA turned this around and 1 BIG hurdle cleared on our SMC ITA journey.

Medicals next (GULP)!!!

Congrats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast