Thread: WTR and PR timeline

Question WTR and PR timeline

Hi,

We've got our CO assigned in May after the long long process, the email informed that we shall receive further update in June. I'm now planning for wat's ahead of us, with possibilities that we get WTR or Residence Visa...well...not much to plan if we are declined, may b we shd use the migration money to buy some new toys as consolation.

My questions:
    1. Is that you'll be given a work visa for WTR OR a residence visa with 2 years expiry?

2. How's the timeline for WTR? Is it like you'll be given 3 months to consider whether you want to take it, and you send in the passport and money if you want to take it? After you decide to take it and got the Visa, you have 3 months time to check in NZ if you r outside NZ and another 9 months time to look for a job after you arrive?

3.How much we need to pay for WTR? My husband n I both in IT line but he's the principal applicant, is that both of us can start looking for job and can get to convert to residence visa if any of us get a job (I saw someone did tat in the forum but not sure if there's any NZIS document for it)?

4. If we get WTR, how the medical treatment, childcare and tax when we ship something from our home country going to be like? What's the difference compared to residence visa?

5. If the principal applicant gets a job within the 9 months, how long we'll need to wait for a residence visa conversion ( I understand there's no 'standard' timeline, hope someone can share their experience)? Is there a lot of paperwork and another long wait for WTR --> Residence?

6. Just want to clarify, if we get a residence visa straight, is that we just need to arrive NZ within 6 months and stay at least 2 weeks to activate it?

My apologies if the questions have been asked before, please point me to the thread or guidebook with the information if there's any, may be I used the wrong keywords to search. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLoh View Post
    My questions:
    1. Is that you'll be given a work visa for WTR OR a residence visa with 2 years expiry?
    WTR in this situation is deferred PR. You would have the right to work at any legal job to help support yourself, but you would have to find a job matching the skill you proved on your ITA in order to convert to Residence. It's been said, this WTR is like INZ saying, 'No, we don't think you can set yourself up in NZ, but prove us wrong if you can and if you want to.'

If you get Residence straight out, and you go to NZ to live, it doesn't expire, and can be converted to Permanent Residence. There are all kinds of rules governing travel conditions, and how leaving NZ before you have established commitment can invalidate things, but once in and staying in, if you are a law-abiding person, your Residence doesn't expire. Do look at the INZ website for details if your are concerned.

2. How's the timeline for WTR? Is it like you'll be given 3 months to consider whether you want to take it, and you send in the passport and money if you want to take it? After you decide to take it and got the Visa, you have 3 months time to check in NZ if you r outside NZ and another 9 months time to look for a job after you arrive?
    That's it.

3.How much we need to pay for WTR?
    Look on the INZ website under 'fees'.

My husband n I both in IT line but he's the principal applicant, is that both of us can start looking for job and can get to convert to residence visa if any of us get a job
    No. The secondary applicant's status depends on the principal applicant's. If your husband did not get a job within the time-limit, your visa would lapse along with his, even if you HAD a job. (If you got in this situation, you might be able to apply for a work visa in your own right, then he might be able to get one to match yours for time - but this would depend on what kind of job you had found.)

4. If we get WTR, how the medical treatment, childcare and tax when we ship something from our home country going to be like? What's the difference compared to residence visa?

5. If the principal applicant gets a job within the 9 months, how long we'll need to wait for a residence visa conversion ( I understand there's no 'standard' timeline, hope someone can share their experience)? Is there a lot of paperwork and another long wait for WTR --> Residence?
    These are things to use Search on, see below.

6. Just want to clarify, if we get a residence visa straight, is that we just need to arrive NZ within 6 months and stay at least 2 weeks to activate it?
    If you are offered Residence, you have six months in which to pay the Migrant Levy and send in your passports for the visas (blue stickers). From the date on the visas, you then have one year - you must activate the visas by arriving in NZ within twelve months. But you could land at the airport, get your passports stamped, and leave immediately, if you wanted to and if you still had things to finalize in your previous country - there is no time requirement for being in NZ at that point.

However, you DO have to establish a commitment to NZ in order to convert your Residence visas to Permanent Residence, and this is normally done by living in the country for at least half the time in the two years after grant of Residence. If you plan to be out of the country more than that, there may be further complications on your travel conditions, which would need you to look at other explanations I won't repeat here.

My apologies if the questions have been asked before, please point me to the thread or guidebook with the information if there's any, may be I used the wrong keywords to search.
    Have a try with the Google Advanced facility, to search our forum - it's often more subtle than our own Search. This is what you do. In the Google search bar, type site:emigratenz.org, then follow that with whatever term you are looking for. If it's a string of words, put them in double quotes, for instance, "medical treatment", then Google will look for that as a unit, not as separate keywords.

Hi JandM,

You r indeed an early bird so I got ur reply in this early morning...Thanks for your reply, it's really useful.

It's embarrassing to ask for the search advice especially I'm in IT field , but your advice is really useful, I've got what I want with your tips, Thank You So Much!
    Last edited by NicoleLoh; 6th June 2011 at 06:02 PM.

You're welcome.

'Early bird' or no depends on what time zone one is in! (I do sometimes get insomnia and post at odd times for me, but this wasn't one of them.)

Default Clarify

Hi JandM,

I wanted to know whether I need to get job only in the Absolute skill category for which I have claimed points or is it OK if I get job in Long term skilled category.

Please clarify....

In case I don't find job in Absolute skill category can I now change the details submitted even after an year of my EOI submission. Do I stand to loose points claimed in the EOI for ASC.

I am waiting for allotment of CO to me at this stage.

Hello there, check this link you might get more information on work visa/WTR/Student visa for kids, how to activate and timelines. This might help as additional information.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32316

Quote Originally Posted by Leo21 View Post
    Hi JandM,

I wanted to know whether I need to get job only in the Absolute skill category for which I have claimed points or is it OK if I get job in Long term skilled category.

Please clarify....

In case I don't find job in Absolute skill category can I now change the details submitted even after an year of my EOI submission. Do I stand to loose points claimed in the EOI for ASC.

I am waiting for allotment of CO to me at this stage.
    I'm not absolutely certain about this, as my knowledge only comes from other people's stories and close reading of the INZ website. Someone will no doubt chip in if they know different. However, I believe that in the case of getting WTR, you would need to get a job in the exact skill you have specified and proved in your ITA in order to claim Residence. If you got to that point, your CO would have checked out your qualifications and experience, so it would be on the basis of those verified skills that you were being allowed your chance.

If you tried at this stage to change something as fundamental as the skill you're submitting on your EOI, then you could indeed find yourself losing points and back in the pool. I suspect that INZ might even say you would need to submit a completely new EOI - again, that's a personal guess, which someone with experience may comment upon.

Excuse me for a personal remark, but do be careful not to overreact to the nerves due to the long wait. You're trying to second-guess what may or MAY NOT happen, about three steps ahead in the process. By hoping to deflect a purely hypothetical negative outcome, you could derail and endanger your case, which could be ticking along towards Residence if you don't overcomplicate things. Good luck.

Quote:

Is it that all of us who are on the SMC application along with the principal applicant should mandatorily travel to NZ to activate the visa within the 3 months timeframe?. Even without being sure of getting the right job offer (skilled one to go forward for the PR at the later date), moving the entire family and more so when the other partner is in a well established/paid job in the home country, would be quite risky. pl advice...this WTR thing is appearing to be quite scary..