Thread: INZ timeline issue

Question INZ timeline issue

Hi,

I was wondering what are the main reasons for NZ to welcome immigrants. I guess primarily to increase the labor force or more precisely skilled labor. If that's the case, and also there's something called NZ-experience; how come some branch selecting immigrants faster than some other branches such as New Delhi, Shanghai and so on. I mean, higher skill worker may be waiting for more months than (possible) lesser skilled immigrant in some other branch.

If NZ need certain skilled worker, why doesn't INZ increase/speed up selection process in branches where they could find such skill more? Or is it something to do with cultural balance?

Thanks,

Zahir

My understanding is that it's primarily a skills shortage.

Don't know why some branches move faster, but my best guesses are:
    Volume issue - branches dealing with higher-population countries would logically receive a larger volume of applications.
    Assessing the differences in language, education and labour markets likely slows the process as well.
    I expect someone will correct me if I'm completely off base.

Hello Zahir,
    Purpose of immigration is different for various countries e.g. in European countries few generations were busy in WW I and II, aging population - low population growth, outward immigration etc. Towards end of the day, each country would want money to spin within the country and generate revenue through taxes etc. [this is just my understanding and facts may vary by a mile!]. Regarding NZ, I'd see it as a small country-even minor percentage change might show up on cultural balance. NZIS processes applicants with job offer first (which makes me thing if they really are any biased towards branches/regions), several other factors like previous settlements, adjusting to new environment in terms of culture, weather, people, distance from country of origin etc are also taken into account. Just few pointers!! None of us have insight of what happens within NZIS (or as a matter of fact with any visa issuing government body) but they might have their own criteria.

Few threads discussed this from various perspectives, you can find them below.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29940
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20493
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26042

Hope that helps mate.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by zua76 View Post
    If NZ need certain skilled worker, why doesn't INZ increase/speed up selection process in branches where they could find such skill more?
    I would guess that an important factor is documentation and evaluation. In some cultures documentation is just normal in others it is more the exemption.

One example are employers reference letters. Some people really seem to have an issue with getting these a posteriori now, whereas others already have received them directly after leaving a particular employer.

So the period of getting certified proof and then getting in verified is much out of the hand of INZ.

Hi,

saltybroad- if skilled shortage is the issue, INZ could prioritize branches that can provide the skills but as Sun777 mentioned there's many other issues involved finding the right citizen (according to INZ) and could take time. At the same time links provided by Sun777 does shows certain mistakes made by INZ back in 2008, yet I guess this has been gradually fixing.

ralf-nz- I agree, getting proper documentation can be different for different country but I guess an expert truck driver from India (new delhi branch) won't get the opportunity like the one who'd apply from London branch, even if he/she provide necessary docs (don't know if truck-driver is in LTSSL

Anyways, I guess just have to accept the waiting game. Thanks everyone.

Zahir
    Last edited by zua76; 12th June 2011 at 05:21 AM.

HI Zahir.

When I left NZ in the early 1990s, there were lots of people my age (early 20s) doing the same thing, initially to see the world, but lots of us didnt go back.
    I lived in a small town with a population of 13,000 and the year I left I know of at least 50 others from the same town who went and from what I can gather 20 of us didnt go back. If you average that out over the whole country with a small population thats a lot of skilled people.

Hi Kiwijo,

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijo View Post
    ... If you average that out over the whole country with a small population thats a lot of skilled people.
    I guess that 'lot of skilled people' isn't enough for NZ to keep it's wheels running even faster- needed by current economic demand. Wonder what it like back in the 90s in NZ but things certainly have change by then, even though folks leaving NZ is another primary reason NZ invites more immigrants I guess.

Zahir