Thread: How much?

Talking How much?

Hi All,
    My husband has applied for a job in nz through Hays recruitment and they have asked him to work out how much he would like to be paid, even though the add does have a figure. The problem is that his profession is rather rare (rocking horse poo springs to mind) in the uk, working on prototype electric motors. He is currently in a supervisory role, whilst the job in nz as a shop floor person is paying approx 15k more without the supervisory role. In a phonecall from Hays he said that he was happy to be paid the going rate, but Hays said that he should decide what that is!

What more can I say than he is one of a kind!

Any ideas how we should approach this, what is the protocol. Don't want to be greedy, just the going rate!

Cheers

Adele

Hello Adele,
    I think Hays is just going by rule of book, get your OH's figures first and negotiate. One safe way to deal with such situation is to say you are ok with the amount quoted by them in their ad. Wait for other perspectives as well.

All the best !

Quote Originally Posted by earnie View Post
    ...The problem is that his profession is rather rare (rocking horse poo springs to mind) in the uk, working on prototype electric motors...
    Must be a growth industry in NZ, then. I've met precisely two forum members here, and one of them is married to someone who does just that.

...Don't want to be greedy, just the going rate...
    Be greedy. If it's truly a rare skill, it's unlikely that the recruiter has a great choice of experienced candidates, so the worst your husband is likely to get is a suggestion to ask for less.

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Must be a growth industry in NZ, then. I've met precisely two forum members here, and one of them is married to someone who does just that.
    Are you able to tell me who the other prototype electric motor person is? I'd like to PM them if poss? Are they in nz? I understand if you are unable to.

Thanks, for the advice too!