Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a gentle dentist in Auckland?

Default Can anyone recommend a gentle dentist in Auckland?

I've been ignoring a toothache for months now as I'm pretty nervous of dentists. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a gentle dentist? I'm in St Heliers but will travel.

I can't recommend a dentist, but will be watching this post. I just went for my first checkup without sedation with a very cross Eastern European lady who getting telling me she wasn't hurting me so what was my problem. Was shaking too much to scream "I've had 5 babies with no pain relief so shut up you cow"

having 'waking sleep' for three fillings on Monday.

My dentist is great

Dr Keith Hoolihan at Mt Eden Dental Surgery ph 630-0192
    http://www.gooddentists.co.nz/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 123laura View Post
    I can't recommend a dentist, but will be watching this post. I just went for my first checkup without sedation with a very cross Eastern European lady who getting telling me she wasn't hurting me so what was my problem. Was shaking too much to scream "I've had 5 babies with no pain relief so shut up you cow"

having 'waking sleep' for three fillings on Monday.
    Eastern European dentists are generally not gentle - by our experience. No matter if they emigrated from there or not.
    The worst experience for my wife (who grew up there) was getting a tooth extracted then - without any sedation!
    In saying this we acknowledge the good quality of their work; but gentle - no.

My partner is a VERY nervous dentist goer but he has really liked going to Lumino Pearl Dental Spa on Remuera Road. Amazingly he has been booking checkups on his own now where I used to have to nag about it. From the 'spa' name, they are not inexpensive but do very good and gentle work.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Eastern European dentists are generally not gentle - by our experience. No matter if they emigrated from there or not.
    The worst experience for my wife (who grew up there) was getting a tooth extracted then - without any sedation!
    In saying this we acknowledge the good quality of their work; but gentle - no.
    Strange isn't it! I have a Hungarian friend married to a Russian and you couldn't find a more gentle couple.

I went to One Health Dental on Remuera Road which was fine.

My teeth are, however, a totally sterile environment so the dentist and hygienist didn't actually have to do anything other than a very quick polish as there was no plaque or other such nasties - even though it was my first visit to a dentist in around 6 years. So if you have to do any proper dental work then I can't advise on the gentleness! They did give me confidence and the equipment is all very modern and new. I may even go back in 5 years time or so!

I really like my dentist Dr Michael Kan at Cosmetic Dental (www.cosmeticdental.co.nz). He is really gentle and everyone there is really friendly. The clinic is in Remuera: 126B Remuera Rd, Auckland, so if you're close to there I definitely recommend checking them out. They have a contact us form on their website so you can set up appointments online or ask any questions you need answered before you go in.
    Hopefully that is helpful - good luck!

I went to Lumino at Torbay. Can't say the experience was painless for me or my wallet but my teeth never looked cleaner and whiter. The hygienist chided me for neglecting my flossing and proceeded to pretty much demonstrate to me the technique and insisting that I do it in front of her. The whole process took over 1 hour in the chair. She made me miss my Singapore dentist very much although I didn't realise it until then. Not Eastern European, had English name Baker or something.

Try - Sanctuary Dental - http://www.sanctuarydental.co.nz/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast