Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to NZ from Greece

Smile Moving to NZ from Greece

Hi,

My name is Antonio. I am from Spain, but actually living in Greece. My girlfriend and me want to move to NZ for better opportunities and also because we love the country.

My girlfriend is a psychologist and is going to apply for the registration on the Psychologist Board and maybe she can find a job in Invercargill. She can easily get the PR if everything is going well.

Our question is about the best way for me to go to NZ with her. I am a computer engineer (university degree from Spain) with 7 years working experience as a System Administrator, but also with knowledge in Java, C/C++, .NET and databases. I think I am elegible for a Skilled Migrant Visa. But we are wondering, if she would get a job there, how can I apply to get the PR?. We are together for almost 2 years, but only living together for 1 month.

We are also considering to ask for an official immigration adviser, does anybody recommend us this option? Also I would like to ask about the ICT market in Invercargill. I know that there are not so many IT companies there and I have been searching in seek and trademe and only few positions I have found.

Thank you very much for your time!

Antonio.

Have a look at this recent thread. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-33585.html

JoJo mentions there a fairly new law, where you may be able to be added into your partner's EOI. And if that doesn't work, go to the links that I give in my post on that thread, as you will be able to use that route (temporary work visa sponsored by your partner, to allow you to build up the 12 months' evidence).

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, it is really useful. We are going to study that option.

I'm glad if it helps you.

About immigration advisors - most people on the forum do their own applications, if they don't have a very complicated case. Advisors charge A LOT of money, and don't actually save you having to do anything much.

Thank you, JandM. It really helps me. Today I received the answer from an immigration adviser and is really expensive and also very pesimistic about my situation. As you said, we will try to do it on our own and with the help of the forum we can make it.

Thank you very much!

I've just had another thought. If you are within the age limit for a Working Holiday Visa, that might be of some use as an interim measure. (I remember that Spain started an agreement with NZ on WHVs a couple of years ago.)

I am 30, so I am in the age. I have read about the WHV but there were only 200 positions available on the 20th of April of 2011 but they were filled in a few hours. NZ is very popular now in Spain, we love a lot the country.

Anyway, thank you very much for all the advices, JandM. I think that with the application of my girlfriend we both can get a visa, she for residence and me a working visa what it is great for me. We really want to move.

Thank you again.

Hi and welcome,

I see your partner has an opportunity in Invercargill, but she would most likely have many other opportunities other communities as well. Have a look on Seek.com for psychologist positions. You might also be helped by speaking to a reputable recruiter (I would start someplace like Hudson, they are really big), as your skills are in demand, and they may be able to help you get a job offer. Your IT jobs are most likely in the major centres, like Auckland or Wellington.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you very much for your answer, tigerlily. I think that we will try first in Invercargill because she can find a job offer, so we both can go to NZ. I think is the fastest way to do it. I have seen in seek some job offer for IT in Invercargill so I think I can find something, also I like quite places, here in Athens is a Chaos!

Thank you for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by amf.campos View Post
    Thank you very much for your answer, tigerlily. I think that we will try first in Invercargill because she can find a job offer, so we both can go to NZ. I think is the fastest way to do it. I have seen in seek some job offer for IT in Invercargill so I think I can find something, also I like quite places, here in Athens is a Chaos!

Thank you for the advice!
    We started in Invercargill (and still here)
    if you like quiet relaxed lifestyle then come here, if you want to move else where later then you can!
    don't believe most of the crap you read about here, we do not have penguins walking down the highstreet - they are in Dunedin!
    the hospital is always on the look out for doctors etc. http://www.southerndhb.govt.nz/index.php?pageLoad=175

and yes there are IT companies here too, wages are maybe less but the cost of housing is too, the countryside is also numerous and varied.

good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast