Thread: Abit of advice

Default Abit of advice

Hi Everyone, just after abit of advice really. I'm 21 living in the UK at the moment, but I'm hoping to do abit of long term traveling next year, and if it works out stay long term and emigrate to NZ. Kind of want to leave the sinking ship while I can!*I spent 3 weeks in NZ last November with my girl friend, traveling in a camper van, we loved everything about NZ! *

I work as a Jetty Man as my main job. It involves bringing in ships, tying them up, and staying with them while they pump their cargo (all liquid, from petrol to chemicals). I have no qualifications for this, just experience.*
    I also work as a volunteer Police Officer (Special Constable). I hold fully powers of arrest like the regular police, I just don't get paid.

I'm after a bit of advice as to what trade may help me find a job. I'm in a position were I can afford to gain some more qualifications before I come over. I've been looking at plumbing courses or carpet fitting? I don't know what would help me the most?

I can also get my gliding instructors licence quite rapidly if this would help me at all? My ambition is to become a pilot, I've been looking into the possibility of gaining my commercial pilots licence, but at the moment I can't see any job prospects here in the UK or in NZ, that would pay off the loan I'd take out to gain the licence! Any help and advice would be much appreciated! Matt.

Hello and welcome.

Have a look on the Immigration NZ website, at the lists of skills that are in demand, and see if there's something there that you would be interested in training for. If you notice the qualifications that NZ asks for for your chosen career, you can be sure the training you do will fit their requirements.

This link may help get you started. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=3

In addition to the INZ lists you might cross reference this by checking the web sites of the ports here; in total there are not too many. I just checked for 'our' port ( http://www.portotago.co.nz/1.html ) but they don't list any vacancies at this time.

Thanks very much to both of you, I'll have a look at both sites!

As a Brit you can come here on a 24 month working holiday visa with no job offer or qualifications - plus it is free. A number of people have done this and it has led to opportunities and residency in occupational areas that they could never have expected. For someone your age, this is an excellent option.

You would be better served obtaining NZ trade qualifications in NZ rather than overseas. It would be a lot easier to get a job and work permit in my opinion with a trade qualification obtained in NZ rather than overseas especially with no experience in that trade. I am not sure as the the rules and fees involved with international students entering trade schools here but it would be worth looking into.

Hi Matt

Did 7 years as a Special and looking at your post this would seem to be an option to consider. Last time I looked the NZ police were recruiting and there is a relatively simple test on their website as the first step.

I think that you have to pop over for the interview and tests etc, subject to meeting their requirements of course! My partner spoke to the NZ police on my behalf before I came over and to be honest I decided it wasn't for me.

They (NZ Police) understand the concept of the 'specials' role in the UK and they do recruit based on that 'experience' as part of their recruitment process, but I guess it would depend on the time you have served and your experience to date.

In my opinion the roles here and in the UK are markedly different, but the same if you get what I mean, and that whilst the Uniform in the UK bought a level of respect and you'll know just what I mean, if you have done some of the more challenging Jobs as IP, I am not so sure that it's the same here.

I am sure that another opinion will be along shortly.

Could you imagine the police 'locking down' an English Village as a matter of course, as the AOS do here and getting away with it ..... think not. The other thing about the 'Job' here, is when the last officer in the area arrives that's it, where as in the UK they keep on coming even if it's from another county!!

Good luck