Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical Question - Cannabis - Illegal Drug

Exclamation Medical Question - Cannabis - Illegal Drug

My partner has a dilema. We have our medical next week and one of the questions on the medical form is have you ever taken illegal drugs? My partner has on the very odd occassion had a spliff, the last time was at Glastonbury last year. I've told her not to answer yes on the form because:

a) she's not a habitual drug user and may in fact never have one again, and
    b) I'm concerned that NZ Immigration have a zero tolerance policy and our application will be thrown out just for saying yes.

Her problem is that she cannot bring herself to tell an untruth, and she says that lots of people have tried something at sometime in their lives and doesn't think that our application will be thrown out just because she's had a couple of spliffs.

I'm not asking whether members think she should answer no, but rather
    a) do NZ have a zero tolerance policy if you answer yes to this question and
    b) do members think there is a risk of the application failing if a person were to say yes to this question?

That is not how my form reads.

Welcome Marcus.

NZIS can be pretty much " Black and White " IMHO if you answer yes to having used Illegal drugs there is a very strong chance your application will not be successful .

The form I know of is asking whether you have been addicted to any drug or taken drugs illegally. In many countries acquiring a certain amount of cannabis for personal consumption - and then taking it - is not illegal. I don't know though what the situation in UK is.
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 12th June 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks for reply Ralf. Taking canabis is illegal in this country but Police tend not take any action if it's for personal use, but by saying you've taken it, you are in effect admitting to a criminal offence, which would concern me if stated officially on an application form. Hence my thoughts. Thanks for your feedback though.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    The form I know of is asking whether you have been addicted to any drug or taken drugs illegally. In many countries acquiring a certain amount of cannabis for personal consumption - and then taking it - is not illegal. I don't know though what the situation in UK is.

Thanks Ben and Clare, I agree with you. I wonder if anyone on this forum has said yes and lived to tell the tale?!

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Welcome Marcus.

NZIS can be pretty much " Black and White " IMHO if you answer yes to having used Illegal drugs there is a very strong chance your application will not be successful .

I don't remember my form wording it quite like that but if you do say yes, you will have problems or at least delays. As someone else already said - you'd be admitting to an offence which will make your application far more negative than it needs to be.

Most people leave a few minor things out on their applications - it's perfectly usual and just as well considering how strict the process and NZIS are.

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    Most people leave a few minor things out on their applications - it's perfectly usual and just as well considering how strict the process and NZIS are.
    Why would you think that it is perfectly usual to leave things out of the medical?

You did sign the medical forms didn't you...
    I understand that if I make any false statements or provide any false or misleading information, or have changed or altered this form in any material way after it has been signed, my application for residence may be declined, and I may lose any right of appeal of the decision to decline the application. I may become liable for deportation. I may also be committing an offence and I may be imprisoned.
    Ian

Yes Ian, however some minor things that happened 20 or 30 years ago are not relevant. Besides which, if you fill out everything you've ever had - the forms would read like a book for most people in their 40s or over.

Even the panel doctor in London suggested that I shouldn't give a complete history as it wasn't necessary. They are far more concerned about ongoing issues and medical problems.

Had no trouble getting in myself anyway, so I'm happy thanks!
    Last edited by April; 13th June 2011 at 01:32 PM.

As for the declaration - I signed it with 100% certainty that I hadn't made any misleading statements etc - my earlier post didn't suggest anyone should blatantly lie, though I know many who have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast