Thread: How to apply for teaching posts in NZ

Default How to apply for teaching posts in NZ

Hi Everyone,
    I've seen a teaching post in nz and I am wondering what the protocol is for applying for teaching jobs. Is it a covering letter, cv & a supporting statement like the uk? Do they appoint on the day like in the uk? Have never applied for a teaching job in nz so was wondering what the protocol is and what to expect The post is in a secondary school.

Thanks in advance!

Adele
    Last edited by earnie; 19th June 2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: missing name

I expect some NZ teachers will comment, but meantime, here are some old threads. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&aqi=&aql=&oq= I remember that people have said there is a difference expected in the kind of CV, and also, that there can be quite a wait to hear what they think.

Yes the CV expected in NZ is different from other countries. I was trained to teach in NZ and they told us our CV should be 3-6 pages long, even though we were brand new teachers. Mine was only 3 pages but others included a photo of themselves on the cover, listed every paper they took at Uni and the grades they got etc. Two referees was also the standard requirement.

Many schools want to meet the prospective teacher and actually have them teach a couple classes to see how they conduct themselves. I've heard of a couple cases where the person was called back to be told they were hired on the same day they interviewed, but most I know found out a couple days later. I was called the day after I interviewed.

It is highly variable from school to school because they all act as independent entities. My friend who recently got a new job had to have two telephone interviews because she was on holiday overseas when she got called up. Then she had an in person interview as soon as she got back and then was hired.

All i can say is that it varies. Most want a CV and a covering letter, but some will want you to complete their applcation form instead. Just read the detail on the teaching gazette website, each school will usually say what they want in the gazette entry. if you're not sure, just e-mail them and ask them to confirm what they want. Interviews for UK teachers are usually done over the telephone or via skype.

Default Thanks everyone!

Adele